cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV-Dump parking sloping the wrong way

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Having just returned from a 4-week trip, once again we found that most RV dumps have the same problem: the area where you park your RV does not slope the right way to provide a complete dump. Have you had that experience?
30 REPLIES 30

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a standard for that - NFPA 1194 which says "The slab shall be not less than 3 ft ร— 3 ft (0.9 m ร— 0.9 m), at least 3ยฝ in. (88.9 mm) thick, and properly reinforced, the surface of which is trowelled to a smooth finish and sloped from each side inward to a sewer inlet." Many CGs are old and may predate this standard.

We are usually at FHU sites but don't recall a dump station with a slope in the wrong direction relative to the sewer inlet that was a problem for dumping. Not sure why it's a big deal other than if you had a spill. Just "walk" your hose to the inlet to empty it. If there's a hose connection at the dump station, I'll use the in-tank flusher (time depending on if there's someone behind us) and then I'll leave some water in the tank. Helps to have some water left in the tank so you don't end up with dried up "stuff" stuck to the tank bottom.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
folivier wrote:
You shouldn't drain your black tank completely dry unless you are SURE there are no solids left. If there are it could dry into a mess that may not break up later. Better to leave some water in the bottom. If you do drain it completely then run a couple gallons through the toilet so stuff doesn't dry out.

I always fill the toilet bowl 3 or 4 times and flush after dumping tanks.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't drain your black tank completely dry unless you are SURE there are no solids left. If there are it could dry into a mess that may not break up later. Better to leave some water in the bottom. If you do drain it completely then run a couple gallons through the toilet so stuff doesn't dry out.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We had this experience once in all our travels, at Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park in Montana. It frustrated us, but then we just figured that it dumped most of the tank and that we were going to dump one final time near home where it is level.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Add a dump station at home = GOLDEN.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why do you need to evacuate every drop of water and crud out of your black tank? Aren't you just going to poop in it again? I usually always try to keep 5 or so gallons of water in the black tank at all times to prevent anything from drying and causing future problems.

Besides, I could always drive the curb side up on blocks to change the pitch of the trailer if it was that big of a deal.

My biggest complaint is pulling into a site that has the sewer connection up in the air. I've actually been to one campground in Richmond VA where the sewer connection was HIGHER than my dump valves.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
bucky wrote:
neilnbe wrote:
It may be done to keep the rain water and runoff out of the septic and leach system. If the slope was towards the dump, the system would take on extra water. Just a thought.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Sorry...Loser Loser..not the reason.

If that is a concern, they build a basin area around the hole with a raised lip to keep storm water out.

From what I've seen, probably 95% of all campgrounds aren't "designed". They just do a rough layout of the road system and pave away. Since the plumbing typically goes in before paving, they keep that side high to avoid possible damage during the paving in case the lines aren't deep enough.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
neilnbe wrote:
It may be done to keep the rain water and runoff out of the septic and leach system. If the slope was towards the dump, the system would take on extra water. Just a thought.

Winner winner chicken dinner!
Puma 30RKSS

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
This is kind of annoying. I agree. Especially if I am paying for a dump.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
When there is no line I have been known to get out my leveling blocks to tilt the trailer toward the drain. The extra time to place the blocks is mostly made up by a faster and more complete drain of the tanks.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Seattle Steve. It only matters on the final dump before going in to storage.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
By watching the guy/gal in front of me or the level indicator in the Tahoe when pulling through, I get a couple of plastic levelers ready or out to raise the right side.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

neilnbe
Explorer
Explorer
Neil, Deb
2 Kids 1 Dog
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire
'11 Ford Edge
Mountain Master Towbrake
Blue Ox Adventa II

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
When on the road, it doesn't really matter that much. No need to get every last drop out. Even with a mild slope, almost everything empties. Only time I want it cleaner than that is when I'm putting it into storage.

(I just realized I could lower the levelers on the passenger side if I really cared that much. I've never done it.)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The people that plan/design/build dump stations are obviously not camper owners. I cannot remember ever seeing the perfect dump station, it's just not out there. Now finding one that is not too bad, is great! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry