cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Strange you should mention the 71 jimmies, antiques to most.
The fishing trawler that I recently sold(sold share in business), is still powerd by an 8/71.
Last overhaul we added a turbo.
Probably this is its last go/round, will probably be replaced with sixty series in four or five years.
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Dog --- correction! On second thought, a 2-71 genset won cover it. Better go with at least a 4-71 - 40 Kw.

J

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Friend!

Well, here's an idea - paint the rig green with "eletrically-powered" in large, artistic script on the side. Then, have Camping World install a GMC 2-71 20Kw diesel genset in the back bedroom, behind a soundproof wall, which will power a big, industrial electric motor/transmission to drive the rig. Put fuel in the sanitation tanks, sleep in the captain's chairs and sofa and use public restrooms.

Jack

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
eltejano1 wrote:
I quit posting a while back 'cause the economics got over my head. But one thing is now clear to me - there are many factors causing the steep increases. While most posters tend to focus on one thing - speculators, oil co greed, etc -basically everyone is right, each with his/her favorite culprit.

It does seem to me, as I said early in the discussion, that we cannot drill our way out of this - all we would accomplish is buying a little more time. The Age of Petroleum is drawing to a close and we had better develop alternatives while there's still a little time left. Civilization itself could be at stake.

Everyone here seems to be in agreement that our rv'ing days are over. Even those who can afford the fuel will not do so because it will be socially unacceptable if not illegal. Govt is going to be deeply involved in pricing and allocation of fuel supplies - public support for regulation, even among economic traditionalists, is building. But it will be next year before congress will address it and I hope we can survive that long.

Finally, it's clear that there is only one really viable alternative, at least in the short run - nuclear power and plug-in cars. In the final anaylsis, that's our only realistic option.

Jack

Hey!!

What about me???

I thought it was my right as a North American citizen to be able to use as much low cost oil as I want, to heck with anyone else!!
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
I quit posting a while back 'cause the economics got over my head. But one thing is now clear to me - there are many factors causing the steep increases. While most posters tend to focus on one thing - speculators, oil co greed, etc -basically everyone is right, each with his/her favorite culprit.

It does seem to me, as I said early in the discussion, that we cannot drill our way out of this - all we would accomplish is buying a little more time. The Age of Petroleum is drawing to a close and we had better develop alternatives while there's still a little time left. Civilization itself could be at stake.

Everyone here seems to be in agreement that our rv'ing days are over. Even those who can afford the fuel will not do so because it will be socially unacceptable if not illegal. Govt is going to be deeply involved in pricing and allocation of fuel supplies - public support for regulation, even among economic traditionalists, is building. But it will be next year before congress will address it and I hope we can survive that long.

Finally, it's clear that there is only one really viable alternative, at least in the short run - nuclear power and plug-in cars. In the final anaylsis, that's our only realistic option.

Jack

kudos383
Explorer
Explorer
onrecess wrote:
Here's why:
"In June 2006, oil traded in futures markets at some $60 a barrel and the Senate investigation estimated that some $25 of that was due to pure financial speculation. One analyst estimated in August 2005 that US oil inventory levels suggested WTI crude prices should be around $25 a barrel, and not $60.

That would mean today that at least $50 to $60 or more of todayโ€™s $115 a barrel price is due to pure hedge fund and financial institution speculation. However, given the unchanged equilibrium in global oil supply and demand over recent months amid the explosive rise in oil futures prices traded on Nymex and ICE exchanges in New York and London it is more likely that as much as 60% of the today oil price is pure speculation. "
Read financial sense: more:http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/engdahl/2008/0502.html

Screwed by deregulation and lack of regulation and nothing else. Don't be idiotic. We have been using the same amount of oil and blaming a giant and SUDDEN increase on traditional levels of demand is nothing BUT idiotic.
You're welcome.
Well said!!!!

onrecess
Explorer
Explorer
Here's why:
"In June 2006, oil traded in futures markets at some $60 a barrel and the Senate investigation estimated that some $25 of that was due to pure financial speculation. One analyst estimated in August 2005 that US oil inventory levels suggested WTI crude prices should be around $25 a barrel, and not $60.

That would mean today that at least $50 to $60 or more of todayโ€™s $115 a barrel price is due to pure hedge fund and financial institution speculation. However, given the unchanged equilibrium in global oil supply and demand over recent months amid the explosive rise in oil futures prices traded on Nymex and ICE exchanges in New York and London it is more likely that as much as 60% of the today oil price is pure speculation. "
Read financial sense: more:http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/engdahl/2008/0502.html

Screwed by deregulation and lack of regulation and nothing else. Don't be idiotic. We have been using the same amount of oil and blaming a giant and SUDDEN increase on traditional levels of demand is nothing BUT idiotic.
You're welcome.
Tom Anderson
2005 GeorgieBoy 35

ML
Explorer
Explorer
for what it's worth:
Excerpt from TV News Transcript

"Over in Europe, motorists are paying as much as $9 a gallon. Why that disparity, well we paid an average of 11 percent in taxes on each gallon of gasoline in the month of April, France, United Kingdom, and Germany, oh just over 60 percent. Oh, I get it, it really isn't about the cost of energy. It's about the taxation.
And they drive quite differently in Europe than they do here, so all the little State Department bureaucrats -- State Department and Transportation bureaucrats listen up. In this country 47 percent of the cars on our roads have six cylinder engines; in Europe, 84 percent are four cylinder; 51 percent of the cars in Europe have diesel engines, here fewer than two-tenths of a percent use diesels and diesels, while more fuel efficient, about 20 to 40 percent more miles per gallon than gas engine vehicles."
ML

CRay
Explorer
Explorer
Just got home from a quick trip to store in my 4xRollerSkate and passed a Shell Station with $4.35 Regular. Had a brain fart in my quest to sell my MH (not many propectives), the thought was to abandon my last idea, dig a 10'x30'x4'deep hole and push MH in and plant tulips in the windows. New idea, build a 10' fence around the MH and charge viewers 4 bits to look at it. Before long we will have a whole new generation who won't even know what a MH looks like. If I live long enough I might make enough $$ to buy a couple of gallons of gas for the 4xRollerSkate.

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
There is no prohibition on developing shale oil". Just what exactly do you consider prohibition:

1. a House of Representatives panel imposed the moratorium on new oil shale rules late last year; the new rules that were proposed, were to allow it.

2. A Senate committee, two weeks ago voted against extracting oil from shale in Colorado.

That may not be what you call prohibition, but it certainly sounds like a form of it to me.
There are still several pilot plants in operation but the moratorium will be lifted if oil hits 150 bucks a barrel and environmentalists will be the ones facing extinction.
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
sirdrakejr wrote:
I still have not found anyone who can explain to me how the future oil price for July is applied to gasoline already in the ground at the stations and yet they RAISE THE PRICE based on what they are going to get two months from now.
Frank

I believe that was best explained by an oil company exec. They price their product at market price. Translation, because they can (that was actually the reporters translation at the time!). :M

lostmarbles
Explorer
Explorer
SRT wrote:
A thought occurred to me early this morning about the run up in oil prices. Maybe the jihadists have figured out another way to destroy the devil United States, ya think....:B

They said that back in 2001, if I remembered correctly... Somebody did...

5wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
OK...IMHO this is what at least 80% of this country needs to do to get the government to understand our situation with gas prices:
Say gas gets to $8 - $10 a gallon. If most of this country started having their W-2's changed to 15 dependents you will get most or all of your money from your paycheck. (This will help you get to work & feed your family). Then come Tax time, don't file! What is the government going to do? Go after 20 milliion Americans for back taxes? Squezze water from a rock?
๐Ÿ˜›
2004 F-250 FX4 CC PSD, P3 Brake Controller, Valley Hitch w/ slide
2007 Wildcat 32QBBS, 1 1/2 bath

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
A thought occurred to me early this morning about the run up in oil prices. Maybe the jihadists have figured out another way to destroy the devil United States, ya think....:B

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
sirdrakejr wrote:
I still have not found anyone who can explain to me how the future oil price for July is applied to gasoline already in the ground at the stations and yet they RAISE THE PRICE based on what they are going to get two months from now.
Frank

I would assume that they are "gathering" the $$$$ to pay for the next higher priced load of gasoline. :?

I'm now waiting for the per barrel price to go up $20 vs the $10 it went up yesterday. :B Gotta get to the projected $150 per barrel by July, ya know. :B