cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

mrjimboalaska
Explorer
Explorer
CO2 kills, enough said. Many a cc-rebreather diver dies each year to CO2 poisoning. Fine one second, convulsing the next.....

diesel is 3.299 in bama today!

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
Calling CO2 a poison is quite a stretch.

Fezziwig
Explorer
Explorer
Well, not really a good plan. For one thing it's very expensive.

The CO2 must be piped to someplace where it can be compressed underground. When they analyzed the piping requirements for an extensive system they turned out to be much greater than even the oil pipelines.

CO2 is an odorless poison, so if it leaks upward into inhabited places you will get a certain die-off, including humans. There's an example of this in a certain valley in Africa, which gets CO2 leakage from a volcano. It looks healthy because it is verdant with healthy plant life (of course, because plants LOVE CO2), but there is NO animal life, and everyone who ventures there without an oxygen mask has died (including several generations of unwitting natives). For this reason, the state of Florida has prohibited CO2 sequestration. The Clean Coal advocates were trying to get someone to indemnify them because they want to put Clean Coal into FL.

Also, where do the CC systems get their Oxygen? Why, I suppose, they deplete the atmosphere.

There is NO clean coal plant in operation, in spite of a long history of taxpayer subsidies. CC is second only to Nuclear for government subsidies, and even now gets about 10 times as much subsidy as the next option, which IIRC is wind or solar.

There is a Pilot Plant being built in Germany. We have to see how it turns out. That's the only PP for CC I know of. Nobody wants them in their backyard.

After all the talk and all the money spent on CC it seems to be going nowhere. I suspect that CC is just a ruse to hold off subsidization of more promising technologies. YMMV.

"Sounds like a great technology to subsidize heavily."

CC is already heavily subsidized. Even several state governments, such as Wyoming, are subsidizing CC because of their large coal resources. CC is second only to nuclear in subsidization. There are powerful political forces pushing the CC agenda. Pretty meager results after all the money spent.

"Would make a great "bridge" to future clean sources which are still pie in the sky but gaining steam."

Actually, some of those "pie in the sky" clean sources, such as wind, solar and geothermal, are ready to go and actually have producing plants running. And more are being installed all the time. Way beyond pilot plants.

What's needed for wind, solar, geothermal, etc., is to free up the Tax Credits that have to be renewed every year. They don't need direct subsidies, unlike coal and nukes.

Turns out that weird government accounting allows them to NOT count temporary costs (such as energy Tax Credits or renewable Tax Cuts) in the budget every year because they are not permanent. That's why the Bush tax cuts were not made permanent in the first place: they wouldn't have to be accounted for.

Incidentally, talking about energy research, at Ohio state they've 'created' a new material for Solar power that produces power even after dark! It employees phosphorescence as well as photovoltaic, so that it sorta glows and releases power to the PV after dark. They've only made a few molecules of the material, so far, and it'll take years to develop anything practical. Apparently OSU has some kind of "materials" designer system using supercomputers where you input your Materials requirements, turn on the behemoth computers, and it cranks out a Material design.

Now THAT's interesting!

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
Fezziwig wrote:

Meanwhile I've been researching "Clean Coal" enough to discover that there is no such thing. All they have is a pilot plant that uses an enriched oxygen environment to produce energy plus CO2, which they compress and force into deep wells to sequester it.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Isn't the goal to stop the release of carbon into the atmosphere and thus slow/reverse global warming?

If the technology can be turned around quickly and retrofitted to existing plants, wouldn't that be a good thing. If not, how do you propose to replace 52% of the current electric production.

Sounds like a great technology to subsidize heavily.

Would make a great "bridge" to future clean sources which are still pie in the sky but gaining steam.

COAL --It keeps the lights on.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
AO_hitech wrote:
Unbelievable! It's still over $3.00 here!

That's because California requires their own gasoline formula for pollution reasons.:B

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
Unbelievable! It's still over $3.00 here!

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

RVN4US
Explorer
Explorer
Gas is $2.15 in Des Moines Iowa this morning. To bad they are going to cut back on production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RVN4US
IOWA

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
$2.31 for Regular Unleaded in Columbus, Ohio last night.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
pkunk wrote:
Has anyone tried the Cheap gas
deal that's advertised here on RV.net? They sound convincing but I'm always leary..........:R

It's a scam, just get a free gas credit card.
$1.83 when you use an Exxon/Mobil Mastercard card !

Exxon gas card w/15 cents per gallon rebates on gasoline purchases

Fezziwig
Explorer
Explorer
I fear that OPEC is preparing an October surprise. Just a rumor.

Meanwhile I've been researching "Clean Coal" enough to discover that there is no such thing. All they have is a pilot plant that uses an enriched oxygen environment to produce energy plus CO2, which they compress and force into deep wells to sequester it.

Here's an interesting article on new research at Ohio for high-efficiency PV panels.

http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-39807-113.html

"Columbus (OH) - Researchers at Ohio State University have accidentally discovered a new solar cell material capable of absorbing all of the sun's visible light energy. The material is comprised of a hybrid of plastics, molybdenum and titanium. The team discovered it not only fluoresces (as most solar cells do), but also phosphoresces. Electrons in a phosphorescent state remain at a place where they can be "siphoned off" as electricity over 7 million times longer than those generated in a fluorescent state. This combination of materials also utilizes the entire visible spectrum of light energy, translating into a theoretical potential of almost 100% efficiency. Commercial products are still years away, but this foundational work may well pave the way for a truly renewable form of clean, global energy."

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
Dick A wrote:
What most folks do not realize is China finished their huge hydro dam project and all the Olympic related construction. They, as us, are now in a recession as well as most of the European community. Thus, globally fuel consumption is down.

But not by near enough to account for the drastic change. ONLY manipulation (which speculation is) can explain it.

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
FreshAir wrote:
hitec, I really can't. But it's happened. Maybe physiological.

But how can that change prices?!? It can't.

Oil prices have changed dramatically. ONLY manipulation or speculation (another form of manipulation) can account for the huge price changes in such a short time frame.