cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
TravilinMan wrote:
Watch what is left of US car companies crash as Pick Up Sales drop off the edge of the cliff further eroding the economy. Just hope congress does not try to bail them out again. My Burban is getting pretty old I guess we will soon retire both the RV and Truck. I'm shopping for a Amish Buggy and a tent. Looks pretty cheap these days to keep a horse compared to gas prices. Also
check all the boats for sale on Craigs List, its like a firesale for fishing rigs. Those two hundred horses on bass boats love to suck up gas. Also look for those drillers, no not then oil rigs but desperite people drilling holes in your gas tank. Now there is a treat, no gas and a costly repair or a whole new gas tank. Anyone got a better idea, maybe the Amish will get into campers built on a buggy chassis.

Geeze, better start checking horse prices. I do have enough room for a carriage house and stable.....:B

TravilinMan
Explorer
Explorer
Watch what is left of US car companies crash as Pick Up Sales drop off the edge of the cliff further eroding the economy. Just hope congress does not try to bail them out again. My Burban is getting pretty old I guess we will soon retire both the RV and Truck. I'm shopping for a Amish Buggy and a tent. Looks pretty cheap these days to keep a horse compared to gas prices. Also
check all the boats for sale on Craigs List, its like a firesale for fishing rigs. Those two hundred horses on bass boats love to suck up gas. Also look for those drillers, no not then oil rigs but desperite people drilling holes in your gas tank. Now there is a treat, no gas and a costly repair or a whole new gas tank. Anyone got a better idea, maybe the Amish will get into campers built on a buggy chassis.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
SRT wrote:
Gas prices have increased to $3.89 a gallon around here. What bothers me is that some are now predicting $5 a gallon by the 4th of July. Sounds like "fear mongering"....:E And all the while Congress is gridlocked.....:M

Congress no
Middle east yes
Commodity market yes

Noone has control on this one in the US neither the President or Congress as they can't stop Wallstreet.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Gas prices have increased to $3.89 a gallon around here. What bothers me is that some are now predicting $5 a gallon by the 4th of July. Sounds like "fear mongering"....:E And all the while Congress is gridlocked.....:M

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
The devaluation of the dollar plays a role, along with several other factors. But the recent run-up is solely due to the Middle East IMO.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
slowlane wrote:
SRT wrote:
Interesting article on oil speculation:
Oil Speculation

The article is bunk, propaganda put out on behalf of power-grabbing politicians and bureaucrats who want to increase their authority to meddle in oil markets (read "price controls", which any honest economist will explain only succeed in discouraging supply and ultimately result in higher prices than would otherwise be the case). Fortunately, as the article admits, their efforts have been essentially futile. The reach of their meddling does not extend to international markets where most of the action is.

The "price" of oil on the global market is not "a" price but merely a statistical amalgamation of prices negotiated in individual transactions by hundreds of buyers and sellers all over the world. No "conspiracy" can dictate the terms of all those transactions.

The rap against speculators is totally phony. Any honest economist will explain that speculators serve a useful function in the economy by reducing the magnitude of price fluctuations that otherwise occur. Think about it: When speculators expect prices to be higher in the future they buy and thereby drive prices up somewhat. When speculators expect prices to be lower in the future they sell, tending to drives prices ... which way do you think? It's a risky business. If they guess right, they make money as a reward for their service in reducing price swings and get to speculate some more. If they guess wrong, they go bust.

My only thought on the article was it was interesting from that particular point of view. I wouldn't be surprised if my retirement portfolio also has oil company stocks in it.

This particular price increase of the price of oil could also be because the price is in U.S. dollars. All you have to do is look at a graph showing the dollar against other currencies. Plus the FED has been doing "quantitative easing" which is supposed to end in June.

slowlane
Explorer
Explorer
SRT wrote:
Oil Speculation

The article is bunk, propaganda put out on behalf of power-grabbing politicians and bureaucrats who want to increase their authority to meddle in oil markets (read "price controls", which any honest economist will explain only succeed in discouraging supply and ultimately result in higher prices than would otherwise be the case). Fortunately, as the article admits, their efforts have been essentially futile. The reach of their meddling does not extend to international markets where most of the action is.

The "price" of oil on the global market is not "a" price but merely a statistical amalgamation of prices negotiated in individual transactions by hundreds of buyers and sellers all over the world. No "conspiracy" can dictate the terms of all those transactions.

The rap against speculators is totally phony. Any honest economist will explain that speculators serve a useful function in the economy by reducing the magnitude of price fluctuations that otherwise occur. Think about it: When speculators expect prices to be higher in the future they buy and thereby drive prices up somewhat. When speculators expect prices to be lower in the future they sell, tending to drives prices ... which way do you think? It's a risky business. If they guess right, they make money as a reward for their service in reducing price swings and get to speculate some more. If they guess wrong, they go bust.
07 Rev 40E
Happily and guiltlessly maximizing my carbon footprint

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Prices in DC are starting to hit 5 bucks already....I hope these greedy &*$%s choke on their money
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
In 1960 there were about 25 major US oil companies. Now there are 5 due to government regulation. Thru my retirement funds, I own stock in all of them, and I'll bet most of the posters here do to.

Fezziwig
Explorer
Explorer
SRT wrote:
Oil Speculation

Monopolies use access to unregulated derivatives markets to CONTROL prices, and after that it's easy. They just crack the whip to fleece small investors and consumers.

In a capitalist society it is the DUTY of government to inhibit and breakup monopolies to preserve markets and bar formation of feudalism.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
cekkk wrote:
Some stations in D.C. over $5.

I read an interesting article a few years back about gas pricing in the DC area. I fully understand volume discounts, etc. to the individual station, etc. but was not aware that the suppliers can vary the price charged depending on the "wealth" of the location that the station is in. in affluent areas they can gouge the station as compared to stations in poorer areas. one example, the writer of the article pointed out that on his trip from the suburbs to downtown, he passed thru 6 IIRC different pricing locations.
bumpy

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
SRT wrote:
Oil Speculation

No, No, No, it's supply and demand... :R

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Some stations in D.C. over $5.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Yea! Gasoline prices dropped a whole 4ยข gallon to $3.81. Of course, Sam's Club was 9ยข a gallon cheaper.

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Oil Speculation