cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
Governmental subsidies to "big oil" are very minor and mainly in the form of tax deductions enjoyed by most businesses. The oil companies pay much more in taxes than the average Fortune 500 companies. When you buy a gallon of gas, governments, local, state and federal receive $3 for every $1 the oil companies make. The money that the oil companies goes to it's shareholders which are mainly pension funds and retirees. Subsidies to alternative energies are over 70 times as much as fossil fuels per kg generated. This is before the billions and billion wasted recently by the failed solar companies and battery companies. Solar is extremely expensive and if you are planning on having 100 % of it beware that the value of the power generated, doesn't even come close to paying for the capital required to generate it. The only way for it to be viable is for somebody else (ie, taxpayer) foot the bill for the capital. Now that the publicity of the huge waste involved has become widespread, don't expect the taxpayers to continue to foot the bill for these boondoggles.

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
i have 3 vehicles 1 vton ford for pulling trailer wife a car me a small truck we dont put 8000 miles on all of them in a year all oder low milege vehiclesw our fuel bill a month is about 200. 00 month

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
LindsayRichards wrote:
Glad you are the one in three hybrid owners who would buy a second hybrid. I thought they were all environmentalist. Economically, when all factors taken into account, they make no sense even with taxpayers footing the bill. It is a rapidly changing technology and today's hybrids will soon be as outdated as a decade old cell phone.

I don't know how many "decades" I have! LOL
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, once you see in numbers how your driving style effects MPG, it's a real wakeup call..
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a ScanGauge II that is used to check engine trouble lights, but it also has about 20 gauges on it (scroll thu). One of them is instantaneous MPG and I was really surprised to see how much the driver can affect it. I have only used it on my truck so far, but can't wait to use it on my 8.1L. I think it will save me a bundle.

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
We have a century of oil in this country with today's technology, way more natural gas, and even more coal. Fossil fuels will last a lots long than me and my child. We will have some other energy source by then (probably unknown at this time.) Leather comes from cows which will continue to be around as long as we have them. Really as I understand two main reasons for building a hybrid. You either think it will save the environment or save money. Am I missing a third one?

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
LindsayRichards wrote:
Glad you are the one in three hybrid owners who would buy a second hybrid. I thought they were all environmentalist. Economically, when all factors taken into account, they make no sense even with taxpayers footing the bill. It is a rapidly changing technology and today's hybrids will soon be as outdated as a decade old cell phone.

Sorry that you have such a narrow-minded view of hybrids. NO, we're not ALL environmentalists and of course today's hybrid will be outdated soon. You can say that about everything that is made today...computers, TVs, cell phones. Technology is changing faster than anytime in history, but what are we suppose to do, not buy anything because new technology may/will come along?????
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I thought I read that there is a more powerful charger that can do it in a shorter time, maybe 1-2 hours, and possibly a dealer might have such a thing???

a while back there was an article on the use of some "green" funds in Maryland to put in a charger at a winery. yep, folks generally go to a winery and spend 4-8 hours touring/drinking/etc. what a foolish waste IMHO.
bumpy

Yeah, there is a rapid charger that takes about 1-2 hrs, but you're right....who wants to sit around even that long. I don't see the electric vehicles catching on until battery technology improves significantly.

As for the winery, sounds like the state is extending an invitation to drink and drive:h But it's business...if you've ever been to NAPA Valley on busy summer weekends, the lanes have cones directing you to the different wineries, and I've seen police directing traffic. You can hit dozens of free wine tasting tours in a matter of a few hours, all while driving back and forth. :S

I just boutht a 2012 Prius due to my long (160 mile round trip) daily drive. I must say I'm impressed at how the car drives, handles and it has great pick up. It's not a sport sedan and I wasn't looking for that. As for them not being around long, this is the 3rd generation of the Prius and I read that Toyota sold over 16,000 in the month of July alone.
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Gas prices at the lower priced stations are slowly making their way up to $3.84. Can hardly wait until we're paying over $4.00 a gallon...:R Are you enjoying your corn on the cob. Get it while you can. But at least beef steaks will be cheap for a while.

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Michigan you get a seperate meter, 240v charger and the installation free! It costs me $1.00 , uno dallaro, a buck, to charge and go about 43 miles.
Yes it takes 4 hours for a 0 to 100% charge.

I am looking to the future for my next Diesel though. How much does that urea cost and how often do you need it? Is there a seperate pump that I have missed? Any problems with that?

I like to have my cars and trucks do the job as cheaply as possible so for towing I like the diesel for play I go Volt.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
The problem isn't the charger giving the charge, but the battery accepting the charge.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I read that there is a more powerful charger that can do it in a shorter time, maybe 1-2 hours, and possibly a dealer might have such a thing???

a while back there was an article on the use of some "green" funds in Maryland to put in a charger at a winery. yep, folks generally go to a winery and spend 4-8 hours touring/drinking/etc. what a foolish waste IMHO.
bumpy

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard it takes 4 hours using the 240 volt charger and 8 hours using the 120 volt charger. Basically it is a commuter car. Use it during the day and hook it up to the charger for the night.The third battery company that failed this year Was also a recipient of a huge DOE loan. The remains of the company are being bought by China. The Chinese are cutting way back on solar as it isn't selling. The UK has taken a huge step back on wind also. I continued my tradition of missing the lower prices and had to fill up my pickup at $3.599.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dmatt wrote:
Yeah, here in CA we have had a history of problems with power, like rolling black outs, etc. Don't think I want to depend on them to get to work. Interesting, I looked at a nissan leaf and the dealer said you can stop at any nissan dealer nationwide and recharge for free.

how long does it take to charge a leaf? don't want to sit around a dealer for several hours if it takes that long.
bumpy