cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV'ing 100 Years Ago

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
Thought some of you might enjoy this article in 'Atlas Obscura' this morning.

RV'ing 100 Years Ago

One pic from the article:

When we were kids in the 50's, I can't recall our family knowing anyone who owned an RV. We knew about them, because the 'Wally Byam Caravan' came to our town one year.
15 REPLIES 15

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Younger brother is in his TT now. It is approaching 80. His TV is older than I

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just in time too. I've been brooding about my Dutch Star being too old.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
There is a RV muesume in Amarillo TX it is worth a visit
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cool:C Now I can show kids how it was back when I was a boy. :B

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is that a photo of Recreational Vehicle-ing ... or Living Vehicle-ing (aka "Full-Timing")?

Folks tend to confuse RV use with LV use sometimes, and you see mixing of the two uses in the forums all the time. They are two entirely different ways of using a shelter on wheels.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
blindeyes wrote:
Saw the photos in another forum also and RV lifestyle is much more comfortable now. I fell like kids back then who goes to trip with their rv had more fun compared to kids I see when we are parked. Kids are always on the screen. I think that should when in an rv with your kids your rule should be no phones! we should enjoy each other's company and dance.

We camp with our nephews alot. they'll hop out of the car and the first question is "can you hook us up to the wifi?" haha "NO!" thats not how campgrounds work boys! I enjoy that part!

blindeyes
Explorer
Explorer
Saw the photos in another forum also and RV lifestyle is much more comfortable now. I fell like kids back then who goes to trip with their rv had more fun compared to kids I see when we are parked. Kids are always on the screen. I think that should when in an rv with your kids your rule should be no phones! we should enjoy each other's company and dance.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Born too late. Even in 1928 there was no road system across America.
Like in the letters and revelations of Great Grandfather .People simply loaded up the buckboard or filled the saddle bags etc and went to Texas simply to see wht was there from the period pf the 1850s through the 1950s even.
A lot more space and freedom but road side assistance might be a farmer or hunter this week or two months down the road.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Loved all the piks and thanks for sharing! The shuffle board one caught my eye as its one of our favorite games... like how they kept score with the old fashion chalk boards! :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
well grampa had a covered wagon,

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Comfy looking camp chairs.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting and fun read!
The person who made the photo captions was obviously not an RVer. Two examples near the end are the picture of the "teardrop" they say was parked "hitched" but was not. The car is just parked in front of the trailer.

The 2nd example is the last color picture showing a family sitting outside of a PopUp trailer. The captions reads that it is a 5th wheel trailer.

Other than those, most of the descriptions seem ok but perhaps not as accurate as they should be.
Thank you for the post! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
That rig would be a cool 'Barn Find.'
Thanks for posting.