cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Tires

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a new Grand Designs Reflection 295RL and it came with West Lake Super ST225/75R15LRE which has a speed rating of "L" (75mph)
Just as a video about someone changing to Goodyear Endurance which has a higher speed rating of 85 and some side wall features other dont have. The WastLake tires made in China and the Goodyear made in USA. He only had 3,000 or so miles on the tires and was worried they wouldnt last. 3,000 miles, I do more than double that in a season. I had LT235/85R16E on my other 5er and would run them for 4 seasons or aprox 30,000 miles. So guess I will run the ST's on my new 5er for a year and then go to 16" LT's. Not a big fan of ST tires
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel
22 REPLIES 22

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
On RVs its the age not mileage that is the tire killer, and ST tires age out faster than auto and truck tires. As to Westlakes; ones I have used in the past lasted as well as can be expected with STs.

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Have had Westlakes on my 5th wheel for 5 years now with no troubles.
Plan on replacing them with Endurance next year.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Speed rating....schmeal rating

What is the Load Rating and how much weight are they carrying......load margin?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I put Michelin XPS Ribs on my 2007 5er a year after we bought it new. After 9 years I replaced them last year due to age, not wear. Only had about 22,000 miles on them but they still looked almost new with tread barely worn and no weather cracking. Would add 2-3 lbs air in spring and good for rest of year.

New set of Ribs on it now. Michelin recommends annual checks after 5 years and replace at 10. Unless wear dictates it before that of course.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Grand Design and if you go to the owners forum there is a bunch of info on the failures of tires. I have about 5000 miles on my original Westlakes no issue yet but you never know. I do plan on putting Goodyear Endurance on in the near future.

https://www.granddesignowners.com/forum/forum.php
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've not seen or heard of any Westlake failures. I have them on my boat trailer and no problems, but not a direct comparison, of course. Your best bet in ST tires for your needs are Sailuns or GY Endurance.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
do a review on the tires, google some times has a lot of info. P>S buy a spare no matter what tire you use.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I tell people to get rid of any tires made in China. I, and friends, have had far too many Chinese made tires pop without cause. My 5th wheels have all had Michelin truck tires and never a tire problem.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE