cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV to TOAD Connector Cable

dbs944
Explorer
Explorer
RV has 7 pin round connector - TOAD has 4 pin round.

Hooked up and tested and no brake lights. I checked the connector cable and the only pins on the 7 side were - Ground, Left TS, Right TS and Lights. RV has an output for brakes which I tested and sure enough it is the only pin with power when brake are applied. Since there is no pin in that slot, there is no way for that to transfer to the toad.

On the toad side - pins 1/2 controlled the LTS, 1/3 controlled the RTS and 1/4 controlled the lights.

I've been trying to find a connector that would take the brake pin and connect it to the LTS/RTS. Every one I find seems to be wired the same way as the one I have.

Is there a jury-rig solution to getting my brake lights to work - or is there another adapter I need to get?
5 REPLIES 5

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not getting 12v on pin 5. & pin 6 when you apply the brakes either the manufacture or previous owner wired the toad adapter into the MH instead of into the toad. If you bought a toad wiring kit from Blue Ox I'm sure they didn't plan on that happening. Those wiring pin diagrams are standard for the industry. Even older MHs use that wiring unless your MH is foreign made. I suspect if you bought MH used previous owner installed adapter on the MH. I would try to locate the adapter or re-wire 7 pin plug properly. Blue Ox has a help line for their products.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has 4 wires. Instead of lights it uses the 4th wire for brakes. Could you replace the MH connectors, maybe with a flat 4 connector, that's what mine came with.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

dbs944
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
You didn't mention if it was a first time hook up or if it worked before & quit. If it worked before maybe one of the diodes in the adapter went bad. If first time hook up what toad do you have? Maybe someone can help. The U.S. to foreign adapter is basically a diode matrix.
First time hookup - to a 2010 CRV.

The RV (it is a 1999) owner's manual says they have a separate connection for brake lights. Maybe most of the newer ones go through the L/R Turn signals.

We had the Blue Ox light kit installed - going to a dedicated bulb on the toad.

I could jumper the RV plug from brakes to the turn singles but I'm not sure that would work.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention if it was a first time hook up or if it worked before & quit. If it worked before maybe one of the diodes in the adapter went bad. If first time hook up what toad do you have? Maybe someone can help. The U.S. to foreign adapter is basically a diode matrix.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Your brake is in your turn signal wires. You may need an adapter if going to foreign vehicle.

Wiring connectors