cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 part question

MMarty
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, First question. How many leave their fridge on and stocked all season if they are camping quite a bit. I've always shut it down and unloaded it but I been talking to rvers that leave it running.
2nd question. Should I disconnect my batteries when I'm on extended shore power at home? I always plug my tt in when I get home so wifey can piddle around in it cleaning and what not but I've been leaving my batteries hooked up. They SHOULDN'T overcharge should they? Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never shut my refrig off in 20 years or so .
I have my RV on a separate electric meter . The only thing on that meter is my deep well pump and the RV . The bill runs about $20 in summer and $16 in winter . When you pay for electric in a campground you pay the campground rate which will include a profit and a hidden maintenance fee.

MMarty
Explorer
Explorer
Well I guess I'll split the difference. If I am going camping within a week or two I'll leave it stocked and plugged in. Any longer break and I will unload,shut off, and disconnect. Thanks for all the replies though.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

An absorption fridge draws about 5 kwh per day--that is about 60 cents per day in many locations.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Stay plugged in in storage?
Stay plugged in roast batteries?

Does that count as a 2 part answer?..:B

~

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
D & M wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
I leave mine plugged in & fridge on & batteries connected, I do however check the battery water level monthly.

x2

X3 only I check batteries every couple of months
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
When you are using the RV as a vacation/trip vehicle and parking at the house when not in use I still can't see why everyone keeps it up and running with full power while it's parked?:?

I know "exactly" what the electric costs to keep a MH powered up for a month when I stay a month at a CG, they give you a separate bill for the electric. Those of you who have never stayed for a month in a CG with electric extra would never know just how much it costs!

Just don't see wasting THAT kind of money on an RV parked in a driveway. I'd rather take that money spent on electric for it to just sit in the driveway and put it towards gas money in that RV to go camping not pay for it to sit in a driveway! :B

Take a good look at what your electric bill is for a month with the MH hooked up and without it hooked up. You just might change your mind.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
I leave mine plugged in & fridge on & batteries connected, I do however check the battery water level monthly.

x2
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I turn off the fridge but keep the rig plugged in to insure my chassis battery stays fully charged. I have a smart converter so I am not concerned about damaging the coach batteries.
Kevin

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
There are two issues that I am aware of with leaving the RV on shore power all the time. If the charger is a single stage not a smart charger, the batteries will be subjected to a voltage high enough to make them loose fluid more rapidly and also reduce battery life. If the fluid drops below the level of the plates, the battery will be damaged. The constant gassing from the battery also increases corrosion of the terminals and wires. The OEM Attwood converter/charger in our 2007 trailer was a single stage.

A second issue is that some of the older chargers needed the battery connected to provide a steady output of current. I haven't seen it mentioned in quite a while, but there use to be a device to put in place of the batteries so they could be removed when on shore power for extended periods of time. Attwood said that their charger could run without the battery, so I installed a marine grade battery disconnect switch on the A frame and disconnected the battery when plugged in for prolonged periods.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Our MH stays in the garage several months at a time. I keep everything connected and charge the house batts a couple of hours every week/ten days. Every so often I hook a trickle charger to the engine batt. and leave it on a few hours.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
We turn off the fridge and unplug the Converter/Charger . Our lights and Television are still available using a 15 Amp Extension cord. If required We can use an Electric Heater or Fan.

Our 12 Volt side is kept fully charged by Solar Panels .
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
MMarty wrote:
Hey all, First question. How many leave their fridge on and stocked all season if they are camping quite a bit. I've always shut it down and unloaded it but I been talking to rvers that leave it running.
2nd question. Should I disconnect my batteries when I'm on extended shore power at home? I always plug my tt in when I get home so wifey can piddle around in it cleaning and what not but I've been leaving my batteries hooked up. They SHOULDN'T overcharge should they? Thanks.

Every time the RV pulled into the home driveway the fridge and cabinets were cleaned and ALL food taken out of the RV. All it takes is one time, one rotten food in a closed RV and you won't do it again.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Ours stays plugged in and loaded with food 24/7, until time to winterize. The refer gets turned off in the winter, but the RV stays plugged in to 30a and the batteries turned on.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund