cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Junking an Old RV

hatchhanlon
Explorer
Explorer
After 40 years of use, I believe it's time to throw in the towel on our first tt. Being at a seasonal site, it hasn't had a license plate for years, plus it has the original tires.

My question is: what options are available, for example, junk yard, parting it out, etc? I have a tow vehicle, but would not want to haul it very far. The cabinets are birch plywood and there is a gas light system in the unit, besides the typical electrical setup. I don't want to pay somebody to move the rig or take it in.

I'm not a junker, so I don't know a lot about this kind of thing. Any help would be appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Craigslist......Advertize it as a hunting camp. You might even get lucky and get some unbelievable offers for it...a check for double your asking and all you do is return half of it... ๐Ÿ™‚
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Craigslist is the way to go. It will become someone's deer camp.

The trick to Craigslist with something like a TT is don't say free. I attempted that with a sailboat for two summers and just got a few tire kickers. The third summer I asked for $250, first person that showed up took it. I let him talk me down to $200. He was happy as was I.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
As an alternative to Craigslist, I recommend Freecycle, if there is one in your area. Here in Texas, if it can be hauled off, someone will take it.

I recommend selling it, opposed to giving it away. It is pure psychology, but one will get faster results selling a trailer for a few hundred than giving it away, due to the "it is free, what is wrong with it?" item.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the info, if anybody else has a fresh idea, I'm listening.

Just noticed you are from Michigan!

Hunting cabin!!!! Hunters are ALWAYS looking for trailers or old RV's to use for their hunting cabin in the woods. There is a huge markiet place for that and the good ole boys will pay a nice price for one.
Wisconsin and Michigan boys pay the most! :W

Throw that puppy in the local paper advertised as a "hunter special". It will be, "gone in 60 seconds' ! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
A picture would be nice!
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

hatchhanlon
Explorer
Explorer
Many good ideas, thanks. The trailer is a 25' 1973 Coachmen side bath that sleeps 6 comfortably, no kidding. The kind you have probably seen over and over, which is white metal with a gold metal stripe around the center. It has a metal roof with seems, which has been the problem over the years. We are in the North and when snow sits on the roof, those seams tend to open and there's a mess on the ceiling and walls come spring.

I used self leveling caulk a few years back that worked well, but this past spring there were several leaks and there most probably is mold behind the wood side panels and above the fiberboard roof panels. I've thought of Eternabond tape, Dicor, etc.

To be honest, this unit is used by other family members and they don't take any responsibility for maintenance. Guess I'm just interested in spending my energy elsewhere.

We have redone all the cushions and they are still in great shape. The trailer probably has another ten years in it for a bunkhouse only, no water pump, but I'm not interested in spending the money or the time to tear it apart and go after the mold. Sheesh, I'm already maintaining two other trailers. My DW says I should be selling these things part-time. In fact, I just sold my Airstream 34' last spring. Now I only have three, whoopee.

Thanks again for the info, if anybody else has a fresh idea, I'm listening.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
tmmar wrote:
Look around for a charity to donate it to. There are a number of charities that will give you a tax receipt so that you can deduct the value they say it is worth from your taxes and haul the unit away for free. Worth the short time it takes to find a charity that will take it.
What would a charity do with this? If they get a car or truck donated that's usable they sell it or give it away. Most of them are not useable and go directly to the junkyard. The company towing it donates the tow and whatever they get for scrap goes to the charity. It would cost money to get rid of this heap at a junkyard...they don't want them either.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
The Craigslist is a good option. Someone will probably want it for a hunting cabin, etc.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
SPRING STREET wrote:
Not knowing what type trailer you have i would look at the TIN Can Tourist site .. There is a lot of interest in old travel trailers these days.

After reading your post again I presume it's an RV and not a trailer ! sorry
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing what type trailer you have i would look at the TIN Can Tourist site .. There is a lot of interest in old travel trailers these days.
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call the fire department they may take it off your hands for fire training.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
tmmar wrote:
Look around for a charity to donate it to. There are a number of charities that will give you a tax receipt so that you can deduct the value they say it is worth from your taxes and haul the unit away for free. Worth the short time it takes to find a charity that will take it.

Thanks I forgot about this option. This is who I have donated to.

Rawhide Boys Ranch is a very good charity org. It's for at risk children.
https://www.rawhide.org/home/donate/car-donation/car-donations.cmsx
I have donated 2 cars to this organization. They restore them learn about how to and responsibility to go back out into society with a skill to better themselves. They then sell them for money that goes back into their ranch. and you get a tax deduction for donating the vehicle. They just love working on RV's.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Craigslist- free to haul away. It will be gone in no time.
This.

tmmar wrote:
Not this. It's old and not worth a penny. Don't take advantage.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

tmmar
Explorer
Explorer
2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse