cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Window is Leaking from the top

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fifth wheel and the windows on both sides of the RV in the bedroom which is above the 5th wheel pin, are leaking. The leak is coming from the top of the window. I think the rain is running down the side of the RV and then running through the molding on the windows. I looked at the caulking and it looks to be in good shape. I also put some tape over the top of the window to isolate the problem and when the window is taped near the top there is not any rain that gets in.

So now I'm wondering what the fix is? Do I just need to replace all the rubber molding around the window? Is this molding specific for certain windows or does it come on a roll and you cut to fit? Thank you in advance for any advice.
2007.5 Long Bed Dodge Mega Cab Dually
2005 ATC 41' 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
www.facebook.com/adventurerig
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig
19 REPLIES 19

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
Is this overkill: Pop the windows out -- frame and all -- then put new butyl table on, all of the way around. Reinstall the frame making sure you've compressed the butyl tape. Caulk the outside of the frame if necessary.

Bruce

Not overkill, you posted the correct fix. Anything else is a band-aid.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
What type of DICOR are you using? It's a smooth aluminum sided RV, like a race trailer.
2007.5 Long Bed Dodge Mega Cab Dually
2005 ATC 41' 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
www.facebook.com/adventurerig
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Is this overkill: Pop the windows out -- frame and all -- then put new butyl tape on, all of the way around. Reinstall the frame making sure you've compressed the butyl tape. Caulk the outside of the frame if necessary.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
What Popeye said.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Get a tube of DICOR and reseal the tops of all the windows at the same time
Good Luck, Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin