cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safety & Security while Stealth Camping

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
I always stealth camp anywhere I go. I hate the thought of staying at WalMart, and I never use them even though I shop there. I use truck stops or I park on public streets typically.

A week ago on a Wednesday night I was in San Francisco with my girlfriend in my 2005 Chinook. I found that it was okay to park overnight at the parking lot of Baker beach in SF. It was quiet and dark. I was fast asleep at 4 AM when I was awoken by some very loud music. I got up and got dressed, pissed off I stomped on the floor of my RV and purposely set off the alarm. (Siren goes off and park lights flash) Their music stopped momentarily as I made my way up to the drivers seat to drive my RV in to a nearby neighborhood so my girl and I could finish resting. As I left I could see it's a bunch of dudes smoking while standing next to their car a few spats away from my RV.

Ever had this happen to you while stealth camping?
17 REPLIES 17

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
So your pissed off because someone else was doing something they weren't supposed to do and it interrupted you from doing something you weren't supposed to do?

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
So what's your complaint?

Kids out to party are looking for the same kinds of out of the way places where people won't complain about them.

If you want quiet hours, pay up for a campground, then you call in the management if people are disturbing the peace.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to tell you this, but that wasn't smart on your part. Baker Beach is part of the GGNRA, and is patrolled by park rangers. Parking there isn't really stealthy. Not to be preachy, but I don't think overnight camping is allowed. Those guys should not have been there either. You're probably lucky they weren't there to cause trouble. I grew up in SF and I generally have a pretty good street sense.

Head across the bridge over to the more isolated parts of Marin towards Point Reyes if you want to stealth camp.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh