cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safety

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.. Maybe it is just me but I am getting concerned about our personal safety at camp grounds. Should a camper carry a weapon(gun)in the camper? Currently I do not. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel
200 REPLIES 200

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
Bear in mind the firearm should be stored unloaded and in a separate container from the firearm itself

That, in itself, would be a feat worth watching...

LOL! Ammo in a separate container. You caught me ๐Ÿ˜‰

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
Bear in mind the firearm should be stored unloaded and in a separate container from the firearm itself

That, in itself, would be a feat worth watching...

J_K_Livin
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a firearm, why wouldn't you bring it with you? If the choice is between my family's safety and some low-life trying to get something for nothing, I know who will win in that scenario. If you're properly trained and keep it stored safely, this is an easy one.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Top2MP wrote:
Just a curious newbie here. I also have a CCW and am just getting started camping. For those that have a CCW, what do you do about those states that do not have a reciprocity agreement with the state your CCW was issued? At some point, we will be traveling across the US and would like to know.

You either abide by the laws of that state or avoid the state and spend your money in states that want you to visit.

At a minimum you should fall back on federal firearm transportation law.

Agreed. Very well said. Might not spend any time in the crowbar hotel if you follow this advice.

Good luck.

Lakeside

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
DiskDoctr wrote:
"The guy on the internet said..." isn't going to carry much weight along the road, regardless of accuracy ๐Ÿ˜‰

Can we quote you on this? ๐Ÿ˜‰

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

You either abide by the laws of that state or avoid the state and spend your money in states that want you to visit.

Well said!

Bear in mind the firearm should be stored unloaded and in a separate container from the firearm itself and out of reach of the driver and be transporting from a location where it is legal to possess to a location where it is legal to possess for a legal purpose.

Some places like PA try to interpret it ("directly") to also mean "without stopping" though I don't believe that is a reasonable extension- especially given the size of PA.

Often, relying on the Federal Transport reg is subject to the individual interpretation and feeling of the onsite officer. Great "law" ain't it? :R

Bottom line: Don't advertise, don't be stupid, and don't "offend the sensibilities" of a LEO along the roadside. If he's doing it wrong, that is up to your lawyer and judge to handle.

Oh- and your firearm should not be in the same place as your registration and insurance papers. It's like a jack-in-the-box when you get pulled over. Surprises are not welcomed, nor are furtive movements while you search for papers and such. Have your materials pre-separated and readily accessible.

But remember, the choices are all yours to make with the benefits and consequences being yours along to enjoy or bear. "The guy on the internet said..." isn't going to carry much weight along the road, regardless of accuracy ๐Ÿ˜‰

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Top2MP wrote:
Just a curious newbie here. I also have a CCW and am just getting started camping. For those that have a CCW, what do you do about those states that do not have a reciprocity agreement with the state your CCW was issued? At some point, we will be traveling across the US and would like to know.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
DustyR wrote:
Top2MP wrote:

I would use due diligence as some state/municipalities are not gun friendly. Carried in a locked case and secured in a locked storage area.

X2. Know the laws of each state prior to entering. I use an app on my phone called legal heat to keep me informed.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Top2MP wrote:

I would use due diligence as some state/municipalities are not gun friendly. Carried in a locked case and secured in a locked storage area.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Top2MP
Explorer
Explorer

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Sounds like he's baiting a hook.

Ohhhhhhh, I'm hurt!

Lakeside

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like he's baiting a hook.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
IMO In order to give examples of individuals and groups that should "start taking responsibility for their lives and actions" we will need to go to another forum (political).
On subject, I don't even like to talk about how I handle and manage firearms.

Greetings Cloud Dancer. I have followed your posts often over the years. Talking politics and taking responsibility in the same sentence, I guess, would not be a good discussion here on RV.net.

BUT, I would enjoy reading how you would handle and manage firearms. Your posts in the past have been informative and interesting to read. I suspect your views on firearms would be beneficial to most all readers here. Muster up a cup of coffee, sit back and relax and lead us into your world. I am sure others would enjoy your efforts.

Lakeside