cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Self defense while traveling

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I were discussing a small handgun for defense while traveling. I was doing some research and it seems the only way to transport a handgun is unloaded and in a locked container.... Just a few problems with that, 1- rarely do criminals or people that mean to do you harm let you go and unlock your gun case, get your gun, and then wait while you load it..., 2- with all these darn rules that make a mockery of our 2nd amendment rights, why bother???..... I will just keep that great big butcher knife close by I guess.....
Proud father of a US Marine
157 REPLIES 157

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
romore wrote:
owenssailor wrote:
Is it that dangerous to travel in the US?

My first question too. We have traveled in the U.S. and never felt the need to pack a weapon but I suppose there is a first time for everything. Judging by the number of gun threads on these forums paranoia seems to be common.

No, it isn't that dangerous to travel in the US. Many Americans have the "I'm going to get them before they get me" mentality which results in wanting a gun for the rare chance that something could possibly happen at some point in their lives and they need to be prepared for that chance no matter how unlikely it is.

(I'm not being political or mean, but this IS the basic underlying reason why most Americans indicate they want a gun.)
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't take a handgun since possession laws can land you in jail. Instead, take a 12 gauge pump shotgun. You don't need a license. Everyone, especially a potential crook, knows what a pump shotgun sounds like when a round is loaded. So, the sound will scare him away and you won't have to expose yourself or fire a "warning shot". That way, you won't have to explain anything to the police and you'll be safe.

In over 20 years of RVing, we've only been "approached" once and he moved on once we told him we didn't have what he wanted. (I think he wanted a sandwich, or something like that.) I spoke thru the windows, and not at the front door. I kept out of sight. This was in the parking lot of a closed Wal-Mart. We've never had any other incidents. (This may sound cruel, but he didn't appear to be interested in getting a sandwich, but rather in casing our precautions. It was around midnight or a little later.)
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Its always better to have and not need than to need and not have. It only takes once and luckly that once will never come. You read every day some good guy with a gun kills some bad guy with a gun. Im just saying
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
owenssailor wrote:

My first question too. We have traveled in the U.S. and never felt the need to pack a weapon but I suppose there is a first time for everything. Judging by the number of gun threads on these forums paranoia seems to be common.

twyand
Explorer
Explorer
Best place I have found for self defense products - www.innercirclepersonalsafety.net
twyand
2001 Ford/LA West conversion van

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't use a gun a regular basis, you're a lot better off with the bear spray.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
Knock on Wood!!! We have never been in an unsafe situation while rv, ing. That being said, we do alot of hiking and I think it is time to buy a couple of cans of bear spray that could have the same type of protection without the hazards of a handgun.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks