cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shore power and inverter on together?

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We just had a few quick in succession brief power outages where we are parked. It caused the tv and sat to go out and have to reset each time. It got me to wondering if putting on the inverter with shore power plugged in would act as a backup power since the TV and sat both run on inverter powered outlets?

It seems to me that when the shore power goes out the transfer switch would allow the inverter to keep the power flowing from the inverter. Right or wrong?
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley
18 REPLIES 18

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
Maybe, maybe not, depending on how quick the transfer switch is and how sensitive the equipment is to blips.One reasonable solution is to have a smallish inverter to run the TV and satellite receiver on and only use that
x2. That's what I did.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MrWizard
is this a whole RV inverter, or just a few circuits ?

is it a stand alone inverter ?

or inverter charger combo with built in pass thru power transfer switch ?

i ran a dedicated circuit for TV/PC etc.. from a stand alone inverter for many years

and it worked great, because there was NO transfer switch and NO drop out

generator or shore keep the batteries charged, with more power than what the TV needed

many people leave leave their combo inverter-chargers with the invert switch set 'ON', so that if shore power drops out, the inverter keeps things powered

but power up and lag time depend on the inverter, some are seamless, some are not

IF you have whole house 'large' inverter, then you must switch fridge propane full time, and the turn off electric for the water heater

if power drops out, for some hours, and the inverter is running the high draw items, you will end up with dead batteries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe, maybe not, depending on how quick the transfer switch is and how sensitive the equipment is to blips.

One reasonable solution is to have a smallish inverter to run the TV and satellite receiver on and only use that. When you have shore power, the converter (or charger part of the inverter) will have no trouble keeping up with the DC load of the small inverter and then some. A 150W - 300W inverter should be plenty for these devices unless you have some pretty unusual TV (such as an old CRT projection unit or plasma screen).

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are experiencing shore power issues DISCONNECT!

You received a warning with apparently no damage. Don’t push it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad