cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower Base repairs

CThibaudeau
Explorer
Explorer
ABS Shower base developed hairline fractures due to poor craftmanship at assembly line. Can one use ABS glue to conduct temporary repairs until replacement time comes up.
6 REPLIES 6

CThibaudeau
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: used ACETONE mixed with ABS shavings to make the equivalent of plastic welding. It was easy to do and worked well. Search the process of your choice on YouTube.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, use ABS glue - it's stronger than anything else and will make a permanent fix.
While I actually replaced my base, I did a number of experiments on the old one to see how well it would glue up with the stuff I had laying around. Good old ABS cement worked the best.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
My beloved old C developed issues like that, I used a rattle can of truck bed liner. They had a nice light beige that was almost perfect.

After 12 years itโ€™s still holding up just fine. The slightly pebbled texture is a lot nicer under foot too.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I might just use the Gorilla tape as mentioned. I have Gorilla epoxy that is the best I have ever used. Good products from the Gorilla
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
CThibaudeau wrote:
ABS Shower base developed hairline fractures due to poor craftmanship at assembly line. Can one use ABS glue to conduct temporary repairs until replacement time comes up.

you could but if I was going to do that, I would cut a bunch of chips off a chunk of abs pipe and dissolve it in clear abs glue until you have a thick slurry. prime the area with clear cleaner then start brushing on the slurry
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
We used Clear waterproof Gorilla tape to temporarily seal the crack while awaiting a replacement shower base. Took about a month to get and the tape did a fantastic job.
2010 Suncruiser