cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower draining too slowly

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
Water is draining much too slowly in the shower. In a house, I'd simply dump some Drano or such. Not so sure in an RV. Any words of wisdom?
28 REPLIES 28

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
aerbus32.....Many of the RV drains have a chrome press on cover plate or a chrome cover plate held on with 2 screws. The chrome plate covers another set of crossbars in the drain. You may find the second set of crossbars are covered with hair.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
paulm999 wrote:
2chiefsRus wrote:
We just had a similar problem with our drain. After trying a couple drano type products which only helped for a day or two, a neighbor turned us on to another solution. We pulled a hose in through the window, aimed it down the drain with a hand towel wrapped around the sprayer end and blew the clog out with the hose pressure. It worked great! The clog has stayed gone this time.

Works with a compressed-air hose, too.

I wouldn't use too much air pressure though. You might blow something apart.

paulm999
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
We just had a similar problem with our drain. After trying a couple drano type products which only helped for a day or two, a neighbor turned us on to another solution. We pulled a hose in through the window, aimed it down the drain with a hand towel wrapped around the sprayer end and blew the clog out with the hose pressure. It worked great! The clog has stayed gone this time.

Works with a compressed-air hose, too.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Root the hair out of drain.

BigPackFan
Explorer
Explorer
Best unclogging trick is simple household bleach. Pour in at least one-half gallon & let it sit for a minimum of 12 hours (24 if possible). It will be good as new & no risk of damage to any piping.

BPF
Searching for the right RV
2007 GMC Envoy

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
old guy wrote:
you might ask old biscuit how to get that drain cleaner through the small holes in the shower drain

It unscrews :S

Better confer with Camping World!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight carries this Drain cleaner brush for $3.49 and this HF Zipit for $1.99. I have one of the brushes that gets used regularly in any sink the wife gets near! ๐Ÿ˜›
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. Camping World was fairly close to the church we visited this morning, so I dropped by. Salesman suggested the zipit; my wife found a powder that should help. Eventually, I'll get it unclogged. Thanks again!

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
pkunk wrote:
A can of Coke will work wonders. Let sit 20 min and flush with boiling water.

Coke also works well for cleaning corrosion off of battery terminals. Kind of makes me wonder what it does to my stomach. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I should have put in my original response that we had already tried pulling out the hair clog with a zipit but the clog was past its reach. On our particular drain, at about 3 feet from the drain there is a 90 degree turn where it meets up with the sink drain. We suspect that is where the clog was because the sink still drained fine. We also didn't just fire up the hose at full pressure. I turned on the sprayer a little at a time while Dave watched outside to see what was coming out the clear sewer connector. Dave saw two large clumps come out and then the drain ran freely.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
We went out and bought the Zip-It at Lowes and ran it in the shower drain, you wouldn't believe how much hair came out of it. The shower drain works great now and we Zip the shower about every three months.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

mike243
Explorer
Explorer
They make a plastic strip with burrs on it,works good on home sinks & showers to remove hair/strings ect,pick it up at home depot or lowes for a few dollars

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not try a chemical treatment, most are trying to deal with a fat/soap scum problem, and it is probably a hair problem. Screen should be removable. Wire with a hook at the end will pull hair out, and there are barbed plastic probes at the hardware that have more chances to catch and pull out hair.

RV drainis usually alot less complicated than most household traps, with respect to drain geometry.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I use a solid wire such as a coat hanger with the end bent over as a hook and pull out the hair that has accumulated in the drain. No air/water or chemicals involved. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH