cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sink and toilet cleaning products

albow
Explorer
Explorer
My wife cleaned our toilet the other day and it got me to thinking. Do general household toilet and sink cleaning products like Scrubbing bubbles, etc., interfere with your holding tank chemicals in the black and grey tanks? FYI, our camper sits in a lakeside campground most of the summer and we generally use the campground bathhouse for bathing and dirty duties, so we rarely have to empty the tanks until pulling out for the year and usually don't have to add any chemical either.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).
12 REPLIES 12

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Waxing toilets, wow. There is another solution. After a couple of years of full time use and many years of part time use, the toilet bowl has never been touched with any sort of cleaning device. That means no scratches and the toilet flushes clean every time.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
donkeydew wrote:
have her use a good car paste wax when she is done. it will be much easier the next time

Iโ€™m going to go tell my wife to wax the toilets now.
If you donโ€™t hear from me again, reference my statement above!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
To add 1c, don't use anything that has any kind of grit in it, not good for the seals.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
They will interfere with the breakdown cycle. Your tanks are holding tanks and nothing more. Waste starts to break down etc, but really you dump before most of that happens. Now where it goes after that is the issue. Despite every detergent company under the sun saying you have to have all these harsh chemicals,they actually kill the bacteria that breakdown waste and stress septic systems. So, will it harm your system in your RV? No. But they aren't good for the septic systems you dump into. Vinegar and lemon are excellent for cleaning most anything and aren't as harmful to the necessary bacteria.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

cj99
Explorer
Explorer
SO looking at doing a good black and gray tank cleaning being I live in my RV ( for out of town work ) 75 % of the year. Anyway been using once a month vinegar in the black tank a few days before dumping it. But was thinking has anyone been using CLR ?? and what ratio .
Chad

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting, in 4 years I have not used anything other than Lysol wipes to clean everything. Cleans the toilet, sink, shower with ease. I have used Windex on the windows. But no cleaning products that need to go down the drain. Since we don't live in the RV and are only there a few days at a time, everything just wipes up...

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the last 2 answers got it. For clarity for you others, no, I didn't think it was like a septic system at home. I wondered if the cleaning chemicals rendered the holding tank chemicals ineffective. Also, we use the toilet, we just don't poop in it and similar products are used to clean the sinks, which we neither poop nor pee in (at least not yet), but food waste, grease, etc. sure can make a helluva stink.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't had any problem using Soft Scrub with bleach or Soft Scrub with lemon.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
To answer your question: "Do general household toilet and sink cleaning products like Scrubbing bubbles, etc., interfere with your holding tank chemicals in the black and grey tanks?", I would say no.
My wife has done the same for over 20 years on all of our MH's and no issues so far.
2010 Suncruiser

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
have her use a good car paste wax when she is done. it will be much easier the next time

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you need to clean a sink and toilet you're not using?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are thinking that holding tanks are anything except HOLDING tanks you are overthinking. RVs donโ€™t have septic systems.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad