cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Out Topper Problems

Bob3Putt
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased some Dometic Deluxe slide out toppers for my Cedar Creek 5th Wheel trailer last Fall. Having camped with the trailer in the rain a couple of times now, I find that they collect water! This is a real pain as they hold and dump a lot of water when the slides are put in. Of course, this also means that the slides are put up wet to mildew. I called the Camping World that installed these and was told that there was nothing they could do. They even told me that these were not for use for rain! What a crock! Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem? It seems like most every camper that I know has slide toppers and they all work fine except for mine. ๐Ÿ˜ž
5 REPLIES 5

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
My friend parks his trailer an inch or two nose high. Cannot notice that except the toppers drain.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
While tightening might help in some cases, I feel the bigger problem is they get installed so the fabric is horizontal - has no pitch or slope. Seems to me if the inboard edge of the fabric was an inch or so higher than the top of the roller it would help the water drain off. I see some that are installed this way, but not many. You would think the industry would have figured this out by now, but clearly they are not too interested in fixing this common issue.

Mine also collect water in the event the A/Cs happen to drain toward the slides. So what, not designed to be used with air conditioners either?
Roaming Full Timer

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I would tighten them up or put beach balls under the cover
samsontdog:o:W

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to tighten them. There are several youtube videos showing how to do it. With the help of one other, I replaced my toppers without difficulty.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They didn't install them with the material tight enough.
I did my own and made sure there was an extra turn in them. Water never collects on it.