cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small cordless drill/screwdriver rec for stabilizers?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a very small inexpensive cordless tool to quickly drop scissor jack/stabilizers with a drill socket. It would only be used for this purpose.

I own a 20v DeWalt cordless drill that I dont necessarily want to remember to take with me every time we leave. Plus it's a *bit* heavy.

I like the idea of small pistol grip tool with no hanging battery, but not sure it would be efficient enough.

Does anyone use a cordless screwdriver for this?

Something like this:
with this

40 REPLIES 40

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
You folks sure some of that is not just wood peckers? :W

Dang, my fifth wheel was built in 09 and it has electric stabilizers in the rear. :h

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
deleted - not use responding to a months old post someone resurrected.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
We recently stayed at Deception Pass State Park, which is directly on the final approach to Naval Air Station Whidbey Island. An F18 Growler is LOUD, the guy 3 campsites down was noisy when he was using his impact driver. Was it F18 full throttle LOUD, no, but it was noisy....
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! This is just one of several things that showed up as new posts today. I didn't realize until just now that I had responded to this one 6 months ago.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
One of these spinner handles works quickly and silently.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Word of caution... Make sure your AC water isnโ€™t dripping your drill. It hit mine just right and fried it. It was brand new. Black and Decker replaced it.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
That's part of the reason I stay away from commercial campgrounds. When I hit the woods, I like to relax and I find it difficult with a lot of activity around.
Hopefully, my little impact driver doesn't upset a local moose or bear.:B

If it does disturb the wild life they won't complain or get upset, they will just move on. :B

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RE: using an inpact wrench type drill v/s a non-impact model

THe noise is not all that bad but the danger is the impact may do damage

I would use a standard drill (non impact) and a proper wrench for the last little bit. But that's me.

But then I've broken a few lug nuts.. Using nothing but a common lug wrench.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
That's part of the reason I stay away from commercial campgrounds. When I hit the woods, I like to relax and I find it difficult with a lot of activity around.
Hopefully, my little impact driver doesn't upset a local moose or bear.:B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I don't know what kind of battery impact driver is ruining camper's experiences"

If it does ruin a camper's experience then maybe that camper should not stay in a campground, because there is lots of other noises going on around them. ๐Ÿ˜‰

westend
Explorer
Explorer
brianosaur wrote:
Oh yeah

Here's my new travel trailer. The inside is spacious and the outside really rocks!

Man, you caught on quick!

I don't know what kind of battery impact driver is ruining camper's experiences. I have a Ridgid 18V set and the impact driver is rated to 650 ft lbs. I'd bet in non-full-impact mode that is used for drilling, driving, or stab jacks, you couldn't hear it from 50'. Not more than a few ticks, anyway.

BTW, some Ridgid battery equipment is still warrantied for life, batteries, charger, and tools. I recently got a new battery for just a phone call.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
X2 use a impact drill not a reg drill bit drill.

PLEASE DO NOT use an impact drill. They are incredibly loud and annoying and disturb the entire campground. They are complete overkill for a stabilizer jack.

:R Oh, okay. Probably takes at least 15-20 seconds X 2. And I'm sure the users are wise enough to not put the drill in "hammer mode". There is a choice you know.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We just have a 2 speed basic battery powered drill. The lower gear ratio is needed to put the legs down. The bigger issue is remembering to keep it charged.

If it's low on juice, I just take them down as much as they will go and then a second or two raising the landing gear to put a little weight on them (don't over do it).

It takes 5 seconds per stabilizer, so hardly a huge noise issue if someone wants to use the impact version.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Fryer5
Explorer
Explorer
I use my 18volt rigid drill. I find it to be compact. I have also discovered that if I donโ€™t bring my entire set of tools that whatever breaks will require whatever tool I left behind to fix. So I bring a fairly decent tool set. But that conversation is for a different thread.
2018 Nissan NVP 3500 SL.
2008 Keystone Passport Ultra-light 290BH