cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small oven or microwave to mount under upper cupboards?

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
My small travel trailer has no oven or microwave, just the 3 burner cooktop.
I would really like a small oven and had considered a Black and Decker Space maker toaster oven that can be mounted under your upper cabinets.
The reviews are not very good though, and it might not have enough room inside to be used as a small oven while camping.
A small convection microwave might work, or at least give us something to heat up meals in.

Anybody have any recommendations?
14 REPLIES 14

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
My class B has a .5 cu ft microwave in it and when it went out, I tried to find another small one to fit in the cabinet - NO LUCK. Wal-Mart sells a .6 cu ft online and a .7 cu ft in the store but neither would fit the cabinet. So, I took it to an electronics repair shop and got it back after a $25 repair/
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
I, like many, use a Weber Q for grilling but we can also use it as an oven as well for roasting or just heating up "whatever".

toedtoes wrote:
I could see this working pretty well for indie size pizzas, but would it really work well to bake cookies, potatoes, frozen casseroles, etc.?

Sure. After all, it's really the same thing as a gas oven - a metal enclosure with a gas burner providing the heat. The latest series of Weber Q grills are especially well suited to this because the top half is taller than it was with the original series and most models have a temperature gauge. We use our Q120 mostly as a grill but can cook a roast, chicken, small turkey, etc, as well as potatoes and veggies of choice. Just experiment with various methods of cooking to see what works best for you - wrapping in foil, roasting pan, casserole dish, pizza stone, etc.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
Who said anything about a gas oven? I, like many, use a Weber Q for grilling but we can also use it as an oven as well for roasting or just heating up "whatever". It's outdoors, won't heat up the interior of the camper, and runs on propane gas so there's obviously no need for electrical power. Sorry, I just don't see the need to run a noisy genset just for the purpose of powering an electric oven. :R

OK. I'm going to ask about this because I don't really use a grill (vegetarian and not really big on grilled foods)... I could see this working pretty well for indie size pizzas, but would it really work well to bake cookies, potatoes, frozen casseroles, etc.?

I have an oven in my clipper and I use it a lot, but an alternative is always desirable (and I dry camp and have no generator).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
72cougarxr7 wrote:
... we boondock and my power source is the Champion Inverter generator and it is 1700w running and this counter top oven takes 1700w by itself!

SoundGuy wrote:
If your normal camping mode is boondocking why in the world would you want to even consider anything that requires electrical power to run? :h Stick with gas.

72cougarxr7 wrote:
Because my TT does not have a gas oven and there is not room to add one due to the fresh water tank being located under my cook top.

I don't mind running my generator for an hour or 2 but I don't want something that maxes out my generator either.

Who said anything about a gas oven? I, like many, use a Weber Q for grilling but we can also use it as an oven as well for roasting or just heating up "whatever". It's outdoors, won't heat up the interior of the camper, and runs on propane gas so there's obviously no need for electrical power. Sorry, I just don't see the need to run a noisy genset just for the purpose of powering an electric oven. :R

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a thought. My TT has an outdoor outlet. Maybe I could set up a table outside and set up a good size toaster oven. Many of those seem to be in the 1200w range and wouldn't overload my generator. Also setting it up outdoors wouldn't roast us out of the trailer, and give us more room.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
72cougarxr7 wrote:
... we boondock and my power source is the Champion Inverter generator and it is 1700w running and this counter top oven takes 1700w by itself!

If your normal camping mode is boondocking why in the world would you want to even consider anything that requires electrical power to run? :h Stick with gas.

Because my TT does not have a gas oven and there is not room to add one due to the fresh water tank being located under my cook top.

I don't mind running my generator for an hour or 2 but I don't want something that maxes out my generator either.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Disclaimer: I have never tried this, but I thought it sounded great for an RV...

cuisinart oven central

I expected to see George Foreman's face there.
bumpy

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
72cougarxr7 wrote:

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Disclaimer: I have never tried this, but I thought it sounded great for an RV...

cuisinart oven central

Interesting! That may be something to consider! Looking into it, my concern is power consumption, we boondock and my power source is the Champion Inverter generator and it is 1700w running and this counter top oven takes 1700w by itself!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III

cuisinart oven central
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you get a convection microwave, be careful mounting it up high due to heating conditions. I built a cover over my 3 burner range top and prefer to use the microwave or toaster oven.
bumpy

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
theres some mighty small micro waves out there ,

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we actually have been bringing a household microwave to use, It's just a pain having to move it around all the time. There is not much counter space, so you pretty much have to use it, then take it out immediately.

Measuring my upper cabinet though, there is not much space, could probably only hang down 8 or 9 inches.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago we took a microwave along while tent camping. Worked fine. No reason you could not have either one and if you do not have space put it in your truck when it got in the way.
If you get a convection oven, buy a cookbook to take along unless you have been using one at home.