cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowbird parks and Coronavirus

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has your snowbird park considered cancelling group activities because of the coronavirus?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021
44 REPLIES 44

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
....snip.... COVID19 is responsible for about 4/1000th of 1% of the deaths in the US.

In case you haven't noticed, it just got here. That figure is about as meaningful as saying the death rate from automobiles was less than 4/1000th of 1% in 1901.
Approximately 38,800 people in the US were killed in traffic accidents in 2018. That is more than 1500 times the number of people in the US whose deaths are attributed to COVID19. Yet there is no reporting that automobiles are "carving a path of death" like the article quoted said was the case with the virus. This entire media frenzy reminds me of how the Weather Channel hypes every coastal thunderstorm. Despite their best efforts to convince us otherwise, most everyone will live to see the sun rise the day after COVID19 fades from the headlines.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
....snip.... COVID19 is responsible for about 4/1000th of 1% of the deaths in the US.

In case you haven't noticed, it just got here. That figure is about as meaningful as saying the death rate from automobiles was less than 4/1000th of 1% in 1901.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
It is the fear of something new that we have no experience with that has people sacred. Add to that the problem with senior citizens who have health issues (and most of us over 70 have some health issue) and it becomes a concern. Yes, a lot of it is ignorance on the part of most people. But my husband is having bypass surgery next Monday so you can be sure that we will be staying in this week just to make sure that he isn't exposed to ANYTHING (this is also a high flu season in Arizona) that would interfere with his recovery.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
By Mike Carter , Nina Shapiro, Mary Hudetz and Paige Cornwell
Seattle Times staff reporters

The emergence and spread of the novel coronavirus in Washington and the world has exacted a steep toll in a very few weeks, carving a path of deaths, .
Talk about alarmist reporting. Since the first of the year approximately 500,000 people have died in the US (2,813,742 deaths in 2017, about 7700 per day per CDC) . Of that number 22 are attributed to Corona Virus. By comparison, an average of about 49 Americans are killed by lightning each year. Corona Virus currently is not exactly carving a path of deaths. But that statement sure sells more papers than stating that COVID19 is responsible for about 4/1000th of 1% of the deaths in the US.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
By Mike Carter , Nina Shapiro, Mary Hudetz and Paige Cornwell
Seattle Times staff reporters

The emergence and spread of the novel coronavirus in Washington and the world has exacted a steep toll in a very few weeks, carving a path of deaths, illnesses and tense uncertainty as a global outbreak unfolds.

The virusโ€™ relentless spiderweb has spread in the weeks since the first cases were recognized in Wuhan, China, in December, shaking world leaders and emptying streets from Shanghai to Milan to Kirkland, Washington, where residents have found themselves at the unlikely U.S. epicenter of a worldwide health crisis.

Scientists tracking the spread of the virus in Washington expect the number of cases in the state to spike over the next several weeks โ€” just as they did in China โ€” and warn that, while the cost weโ€™ve paid is already steep, itโ€™s likely going to get steeper. Already, in less than a month, society has contracted โ€” events canceled, travel restricted, crowds avoided and downtown streets, while not empty, suddenly lack the bustle of Americaโ€™s third fastest-growing metropolis.

In short, our lives have changed drastically โ€” for some, irretrievably.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope you all watched Meet the Press this morning with Dr Anthony Fauci Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Slowly we are starting to hear from medical professional vs political hacks from the administration.

One of the things that concerns me is that people will buy a ticket to an event in their park, and then feel obligated to attend when not feel well. At this point parks should be saying if you do not feel well, DO NOT attend, and we will refund the cost of your ticket(s).

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
joebedford wrote:
The park did send out an information bulletin but no events cancelled yet. I'm avoiding Main Street during Bike Week because you're in very close contact with other filthy bikers. Washing my hands a lot whenever I go out.

I would think being in an RV park filled with Snowbirds would be as "safe" as anywhere? But here in FL, we get millions of visitors - Bike Week, Spring Breaks, etc They just announced a Covid-19 case in Volusia County (Daytona), so all those bikers might be bringing home an unwanted souvenir.....

The thing that scares me, is that people are contagious, before they feel ill (and presumably sequester themselves); and since 80% of the cases don't require medical treatment, there could be a LOT of people out there spreading germs who aren't on the "radar".

Wash your hands.

And how many snowbird parks are filled this month with families flying down for spring break in the sun with grandparents? In the Phoenix area we have HORDES of baseball fans (including kids) who will fly in for a week to see Spring Training games, including loads from Seattle and Sf Bay Area!

Figment II

2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
Iโ€™m one of the small handful that survived the Y2K carnage. In a few years global warming is going to kill us all. So why get excited about a little flu?

Take a deep breath, relax and most importantly, TURN OFF THE TV.

If you are over 65, have respiratory problems, heart problems, are diabetic, IT IS A BIG DEAL, especially if you smoked when you were younger and have even a touch of emphysema. This virus overwhelms the lung's naturally cleaning efforts to move mucos up and out and overloads the system with fluid, leading to severe pneumonia and death. Huge number of deaths in Washington State were people who have been in hospital for pneumonia and were in a rehab facility to finish getting lung functions back. Obviously neither you, or someone in your family, has ever faced this problem - you are lucky.

Figment II

2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Deb and Ed M wrote:
The thing that scares me, is that people are contagious, before they feel ill (and presumably sequester themselves); and since 80% of the cases don't require medical treatment, there could be a LOT of people out there spreading germs who aren't on the "radar".

Wash your hands.
The thing that scares me is that the "just the flu" people will NOT sequester themselves. They will spread COVID-19 to others, 20% of whom will require hospitalization and about 3.4% will die.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
The park did send out an information bulletin but no events cancelled yet. I'm avoiding Main Street during Bike Week because you're in very close contact with other filthy bikers. Washing my hands a lot whenever I go out.

I would think being in an RV park filled with Snowbirds would be as "safe" as anywhere? But here in FL, we get millions of visitors - Bike Week, Spring Breaks, etc They just announced a Covid-19 case in Volusia County (Daytona), so all those bikers might be bringing home an unwanted souvenir.....

Wash your hands.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m one of the small handful that survived the Y2K carnage. In a few years global warming is going to kill us all. So why get excited about a little flu?

Take a deep breath, relax and most importantly, TURN OFF THE TV.
Larry

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
And the - oh it's nothing attitude is exactly what will keep it spreading around. It may not affect many people any more than the flu would, but for those who do get the serious lung involvement, I bet they will wish they had stayed home. And who gets it most ? Seniors and people with other illnesses and compromised immunity systems. How many at the snowbird parks are either a senior - have another illness, and have compromised immunity systems? Most will meet 1 of those 3 criteria.
It's a virus. You can't build a fence or threaten it with a gun to keep it away. For the vast majority of people the symptoms are identical to a cold or the flu. People who have a cough or the sniffles are going to be out and about. That is just a fact. Unless you are willing to sequester yourself from all human contact until it either runs its course or a vaccine is perfected you will run the risk of becoming infected. That will likely not happen for a year or more. I don't have enough years left to toss one of them away living personally imposed isolation trying to avoid an illness that isn't that severe to the vast majority.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
One more thing to worry about. Last night we had 200+ in our rec center to see a play put on by residents - packed hall and no one seemed overly concerned.

Take standard health precautions are always the best.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Has your snowbird park considered cancelling group activities because of the coronavirus?

Two months ago, our dances were drawing 80-100 paying customers. Tonight, we had about half that for the same band and it was free.