cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar installation Tax Credit

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
So the solar tax credit can cover everything included in the installalation of solar panels. This includes batteries, however, from what I understand, the batteries need to be charged from the solar panels at least 70 percent of the time. If they're charged from shore power 50 percent of the time, for example, you can no longer receive the tax credit for the cost of the batteries.

How does one accurately monitor this? Estimate?

How would Uncle Sam verify it?

Could I turn off/disconnected the converter so the solar panels charged the batteries, and shore power ran the 110 V system? Would the panels keep the engine battery topped off as well?
18 REPLIES 18

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
is your RV your primary residence?
bumpy

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the IRS comes out just turn off the converter then.

Check voltage on the chassis battery is above 13.2 volts and it is getting charged. 12.8 or less is not getting charged. Just add a Trik-L-Start combiner if needed.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2013/04/irs-confirms-that-batteries-qualify-for-the-energy-tax-credit-but-imposes-limitations.html

I believe it was a ruling made by the IRS after they came out with the tax credit.

I mistakenly said 70 percent. It is actually 75.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
It may pay to review IRS form 5695 to fully answer your question or take the question to your favorite CPA; which I am not.
My reading of the form indicates 30% of the cost of the solar installation can be deducted from your tax obligation for the year of the installation. I saw nothing that indicated battery charging was involved nor would the credit be valid for succeeding years. If the credit is greater than the amount of tax owed the balance can be carried over to 2016.
There may be a limit of $500 for all such Residential Energy credits since 2005 or so.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)