cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar System Summer Maintenance

HuckFinn410
Explorer
Explorer
I built out a Sprinter Van as a Class B. I have 200 Watts solar on the roof along with 2 ea. 6V Costco Golf cart batteries (220 AH).

System works great. My question is this.

Since it's so insanely hot (KC area), I'm not using the Van much during the summer. The van is sitting in my driveway waiting for it's next adventure. I am not able to head for the Oregon coast right now...although I think about it hourly!

Any advice on maintaining the batteries while it sits in the sun (some shade but plenty of sun to keep things charged up) all day without any usage? I have a battery controller (controls charging cycles) and all of the necessary connections.

Is it O.K. to just let the controller do it's thing.....bulk charge - trickle/ maintenance charge?

New to the whole solar thing and looking for advice from experienced solar users on the best way to maintain battery bank during periods on non usage.

I did search but did not see exactly what I needed.

Thank you

Huck
Homesick for a place that I've never been
6 REPLIES 6

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a switch on the solar panel cable and switch it off when the batteries are fully charged. Also shut off current from the batteries to the house so no loads.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I leave my solar connected to my two 6v batteries full time, and my trailer lives outside 24/7. I never charge my batteries with the converter anymore. It's just for backup. My first set of 6v batteries lasted 8 years, my next set I got used, but replaced them at 11 years old. I'm hoping for another 8 - 10 years on my current set. Just need to keep them watered.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

MrWizard
if its possible with your controller turn down the voltages
especially float, 13.4 - 13.48v is a good setting for flooded wet cell in hot weather, not being used

most batteries Die from 'Under charging' Not from 'Over charging'
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The border is watched closely for RV escapees, KerrlakeRoo.

Seriously, I turn off my solar system and cover my TT and the panels except for a day or two every couple of weeks when parked. I do monitor the batteries at least weekly. Keeps sun damage to the TT at a minimum.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Why did you let yourself get caught in KC?
At 1 AM break and make a run for North Dakota, you can be there by noon, before the heat hits. Another run the next day gets you back to comfortable temps.
Run Forrest Run