cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spongy Floor

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed this year that the vinyl floor directly in front of the refrigerator has gotten spongy. It's just the area in front of the unit about 8" deep. Rest of flooring in TT is rock solid. No water leaks inside and nothing coming through or sagging underbelly. Fridge drains to outside of TT when shut off so don't think fridge is an issue. We do notice a gray tank smell when we open the doors under kitchen sink. Kitchen sink sits in island directly in front of fridge. Fridge is in a slide.

Looked all under sink and storage below the island. No water. I feel I may have a small drain leak once the pipes drop below the floor and head to the gray tank. Dealer looked yesterday and could not find an water damage, wet insulation, wet wood etc and no leak. I told them to keep searching and remove more underbelly to visually see as much as possible. If no leak found, could the vinyl just be coming loose from the flooring? Maybe it got wet from another reason and whatever that was is no longer an issue but it ultimately has led to the current problem. I know this is a shot in the dark but I am thinking the dealer will tell me all is good and send me on my way with a $100 or so diagnostic charge. Does vinyl flooring ever get spongy from something other than water? TT is a 2014 Keystone Outback. tks
8 REPLIES 8

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
On my Rockwood, I used a piece of half inch plywood overlaid to reinforce the spongy areas. Ugly but worked.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
A problem typical of foam core floor construction, more bracing can help.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Sons old Rockwood TT had a soft area in front of the sink/stove that grew larger. Foam core floor construction with deteriorating foam. No leaks.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer just called and said all was dry and no presence of any water damage anywhere. Pipes are dusty, insulation dry. He said it appears that the area in front of the fridge is not braced causing the sponginess more than likely. Since the Fridge and stove are on the slide next to the entrance door maybe there is truth to the lack of bracing in that spot. Anyways, seems all is good. Tks for the tips.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
Does your floor have laminated construction, as in the foam sandwich floor? The bond between layers can let go and therefore leave a spongy spot. No water required there. I had that issue with mine.

Dan

According to the brochure this is the flooring construction from top to bottom:

1) Linoleum
2) Carpet Pad but I assume this would apply to only the carpeted areas
3) Double layer Luan Decking with Staggered Seams
4) R-10 Block foam Insulation
5) Welded Aluminum Floor Joists
6) Bottom Layer Luan Decking
7) Darco Vapor Barrier Wrap
๐Ÿ˜Ž 1 piece polypropelyene Enclosed and heated underbelly
9) In floor residential ducted heat

Tks

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Does your floor have laminated construction, as in the foam sandwich floor? The bond between layers can let go and therefore leave a spongy spot. No water required there. I had that issue with mine.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
When you push on the floor, how does it feel? Does it give a bit and then feel solid, or does it continue to give more if you push harder?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I always found spongy floor is mostly some type of water damage