cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting to think it's OK to ignore the one-way signs

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Let me start off by saying that I don't typically break the rules. I drive slowly through the campgrounds at 9.5 MPH where posted, respect quiet hours, dispose of my trash properly and I even respect the one-way signs and arrows as designated in the campgrounds. Yesterday, however, I decided that the next time I move my coach at a particular campground, I will be ignoring the one-way signs.

I'm currently staying at Thousand Trails Orlando in the "A" section. If you are not familiar with this campground, it is a very large and old property with hundreds of sites and dozens of winding roads (some narrow, and some wide).

I had to bring my coach in for a minor adjustment and was following the one-way signs as designated in the campground site map and posted signs. By following the one-ways, I found myself on the tightest and loopiest route imaginable. To add insult to injury, there were trees and trucks parked strategically along the sides of the road that tested my abilities to maneuver a 45 foot class A towing a 23 foot F-150 behind me.

When I got back to the campground a couple of hours later, I was immediately struck by how easy it was to re-enter. This got me to thinking. Later, I walked around the park and noticed that virtually any other path I could have taken would have been much wider and safer than the designated path I was forced to take.

Therefore, I plotted my escape for my next departure and have decided that I will go the wrong way on a one-way street for a short distance before leaving the park safely. To be honest, the segment of road I'm talking about is practically a two way street right now with traffic moving constantly in both directions with the exception of the fact that there is an arrow painted on the road and a one-way sign on the campground site map. There is no logical reason why this street is one-way only.

BTW, I typically walk or drive my planned exit the day before I leave a park to make sure I have the clearances I need and to figure out where to connect my toad. Do any of you do the same?

Call me a rebel if you will, but I will not sacrifice my safety and risk property damage to respect an arbitrary street designation.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
43 REPLIES 43

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
cpaulsen wrote:
Triker33 wrote:
I've never seen the police write a ticket for going the wrong way in any campground.

I have! Do not know about a lot of states but all the roads in state parks in Oregon are considered "state highways" which are subject to th rules of the road like everything else.

true, but I have had state park employees, instruct me to go the wrong way in oregon state park campgrounds in order to get my trailer in, and in a few cases, with pull throughs have the door facing the campsite instead of the road.

The key phrase is "state park employees instruct me to go the wrong way".

It's one thing to go the wrong way when you are being directed to do so. It's another thing completely to decide on your own to go the wrong way. One gets you a free pass - the other can get you a ticket.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
Triker33 wrote:
I've never seen the police write a ticket for going the wrong way in any campground.

I have! Do not know about a lot of states but all the roads in state parks in Oregon are considered "state highways" which are subject to th rules of the road like everything else.

true, but I have had state park employees, instruct me to go the wrong way in oregon state park campgrounds in order to get my trailer in, and in a few cases, with pull throughs have the door facing the campsite instead of the road.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Triker33 wrote:

cpaulsen

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the determining factor is:

Do you decide just to go the wrong way?

OR

Do you ask management IF you can go the wrong way?

IMHO, I think the latter makes sense. But then I've never agreed with the saying "better to ask forgiveness than request permission".
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to several campgrounds where the host/owner/etc. told me to go against the one way sign to get to my campsite. Usually for a valid reason. Either as the OP mentioned, easier, or in some cases, going the "correct" way ends up with my trailer door facing the wrong side on a pull through site. Or a few sites where the pad angle was virtually impossible going the "correct" direction.

IMHO as long as your carefull and there is a valid reason, I have no objection to someone going the wrong way.

And twice I was instructed by the mgmt at forest service campground and once a state park to go the wrong way with my trailer setup and the site I was to go to.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
cruiserjs wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:
I never discuss this subject.

Then why did you?? Just to "hear" yourself??

The first rule of wrong way club, is you do not talk about wrong way club
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed in one RV park several years ago (don't remember where), with hookups on both sides of each spot. Maybe for the views.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Georgew48 wrote:
In Ohio state parks the ranger will give you a ticket if they catch you going the wrong way when the road is posted and has arrows painted on the road. The roads in the State parks are state roads just like any other state road and subject to the same laws. As a camp host I have seen them write many tickets for speeding, running stop signs and going the wrong way. The drivers attitude has a lot to do with it though. Our rangers are not out to spoil you day but have to enforce the rules to keep order.

...same goes for national parks. We volunteer in them and had to witness a bike accident. The biker was riding in the correct direction but the truck was not. Rules are there for a reason.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't read this whole thread.

But, I would say it depends on the park and how well you know it. It also depends on traffic. If you end up blocking someone going the right way they are going to be mad.

At some parks I stay at everyone one ignores them. At others they give you dirty looks if you do that.

Depends

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
On a few occasions, my wife will block off the entrance road where I have to leave going the "wrong way"

I've never had a camper that didn't understand my infrequent requirement.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Private property One Way signs are set by property management per their wishes
and do not carry the weight of any law.

All camp ground management can do is ask you to leave.

State and Fed. parks are a different situation.
They are not private.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

What has happened to plain ole common sense :H

Haven't you heard? It died a while ago.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do what ya gotta do OP!! I would do the same and have ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rules are there for a reason.However sometimes reason trumps arbitrary rules.
In Indiana,at our family reunion, we were allocated the only real spot for a large RV, on corner lot next to entry.
You were supposed to go around a mile or so loop and come back. The site situation, there was not a practical way to back in coming from that direction.
So we backed in going the wrong direction twenty foot or so from the entry and exit split. needles to say there was complaint by two Ladies, half way round the loop, in an RV. We had permission by the Park Mgr and spotters
They sped out of there every trip, two times a day or so twice the speed limit and more. Rules were for other Folks. There are types looking for a reason to be offended, or for someone else to break the rules so they can achieve their reward of accolades for turning them in or something.
As a consequence a lot, of people start to pick that attitude up, as much from tv as any where. Think a minute and back off most times.
If there is reason let it go. If there is a real problem then deal with it.