cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stupid stupid idiot towing a TT

Well, I see a lot of stupid stuff on the road that makes me shake my head and wonder if the driver found his brain inside a jar of peanut butter.....
I generally keep most of it to myself because I've seen the speculation that abounds here from mishaps and dumb driving and more and how threads get out of control. And I don't like starting threads that get out of control and get shut down. But anyways.....

I just have to share this one....

About a mile from my house this morning, I was approaching a light when I saw, on a major highway, stopped at a red light something that caught my eye and I have to say I was shocked, dumbfounded in disbelief.

Basic half ton pickup towing a small single axle older TT, about a 17 foot unit.

What caught my eye was the crazy angle the TT was to the TV. First reaction, whoa dude!!! Who taught you how to hitch up?? The back of the TT was up in the air and the nose was nearly dragging on the pavement. What the ??? I was turning right into a merge lane onto the same highway so couldn't see any closer. His light turns green, I get stopped at a red light close by so I'm watching in the mirror as he approaches. He takes the exit to the right of where I'm stopped and he is just hauling a$$ around the corner.

Then I saw it.

His front A frame hitch on the TT is broken! The propane bottles are stuffed into the front of the TT, the trailer is nearly on the ground in the front, the hitch back from the ball of the TV was on the same angle the other way so this thing was like a V in the middle.
And! That's not all! One side of the A frame was broken completely off on one side and hanging down under the front off the TT. About a 3 foot piece of frame just dangling in the breeze!

And this bozo is just giving er down the road around the corner onto another highway.

There is absolutely no way this clown could have been unaware of the situation. A mirror check, adverse handling, wandering TT etc would have alerted even the most inexperienced and dumb driver that maybe just maybe, perhaps something is off a bit! He had to know of the situation, he had to!

Don't know where he was headed but I just hope and pray that thing didn't come off and kill somebody.

Thinking about it later, coulda shoulda woulda, why didn't I pull over and call 911? Don't know, I can't answer that one. Didn't even think about it til later. Stupid me I guess.

Maybe I should share about the speeding truck and TT that passed me going way to fast and wiped out and rolled over last weekend.... hmm...
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
24 REPLIES 24

noteven wrote:

It's how our traffic engineers control "congestion"... by stopping traffic...

Bob - you think maybe the guy hit the same RR crossing or bridge deck this guy did?

Well, it's certainly quite possible!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
BobsYourUncle wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:

About a mile from my house this morning, I was approaching a light when I saw, on a major highway, stopped at a red light something that caught my eye and I have to say I was shocked, dumbfounded in disbelief.

I'd be shocked, dumbfounded and in disbelief too - if I had see a red light on a major highway.

Canada is full of traffic lights on major highways. They are everywhere.

It's how our traffic engineers control "congestion"... by stopping traffic...

Bob - you think maybe the guy hit the same RR crossing or bridge deck this guy did?

2012Coleman wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:

I'd be shocked, dumbfounded and in disbelief too - if I had see a red light on a major highway.

Canada is full of traffic lights on major highways. They are everywhere.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Traffic lights on highways are not uncommon. Heck, there's even one on an Interstate highway.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a portable meth lab
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another possibility: The trailer was on its way to the dump or scrapyard.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Try driving an 18 for a few years. I have seen stuff that will make your blood boil, or make you sick. Stupidity is rampant, and this is going back a couple decades too.

One day I was cruising along with a load of sticks on the Indiana Tollway, got it set at 58 MPH since it was 55 back then. A couple cars are in the left, slowly passing me, they merge in front of me, and one of the cars in the middle wanted to go faster. I had glanced in my mirror and see a single headlight far behind me, I look forward and the middle car moved to the left lane, and at that moment I saw a blur go by, then a huge BANG, and I see a guy do a perfect swan dive into the the overhead light bar.

It really is amazing how high you can be launched into the air when you slam your motorcycle into the back of a car while doing 155 MPH. The driver of the car was seriously injured since the bike **** near went through the car. The biker, well, they were picking parts of him off the road and shoulder for hours. Who knows, there may still be parts of him alongside the road 19 years later.

I didn't get my load delivered that day, had to get the truck and part of the load washed first.

I have plenty more like that too that I have seen. It is just amazing how stupid people really are.

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
I loaned my 1/2 ton pick up to a friend who said he wanted to go pick up some sand for his kids sand box. I had no idea that he would almost fill the whole bed with sand. The bumper was almost dragging the ground when I went over to his place to help unload it. I was busy that morning and could not go with him but when I saw that I told him he might be replacing the shocks and springs on my truck. I was a bit POed to say the least.

Puss bone that truck wasn't hurt.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
I loaned my 1/2 ton pick up to a friend who said he wanted to go pick up some sand for his kids sand box. I had no idea that he would almost fill the whole bed with sand. The bumper was almost dragging the ground when I went over to his place to help unload it. I was busy that morning and could not go with him but when I saw that I told him he might be replacing the shocks and springs on my truck. I was a bit POed to say the least.

I assume you learned about EVER loaning out your truck!
I've always made it clear, I'll drive my truck across several states for a good friend but I won't loan it for a half a block.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Towin_Toys
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
ken56 wrote:
Been there, done that, to my own truck when I was younger.

Two ton of pulverized limestone in a half ton pickup box. Only had to haul it less than 12 miles on a back country road. I can do it. Well maybe not. Fortunately only took out the rear shocks, and not the springs. Never abused a truck like that again!

I have a personal rule that I never break. I do not loan anything with an engine, a pump, or that fires a projectile.
KMO
'17 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 CC
'18 Northwood Desert Fox Toy Hauler
'16 Polaris RzR 900
'11 KTM 990 Adventure
'06 Softail Deuce 98"
'08 KTM 300 XC-W(e)

Well, there's dumb and stupid that only affects yourself but this guy was endangering the lives of everyone on the road in his path.

If the rest of his frame let go at highway speed that trailer would become an unguided missle and could have killed an innocent family.
The safety chains and breakaway switch are attached to the front frame of the TT. And that would have remain attached to the TV. There would be nothing stopping it.

I stand by my description of stupid idiot.....

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
susan-y wrote:
I too am quick to shake my head at other peoples stupidity.. how quickly I forget the various really dumb things I've done at the end of a long or tiring day. Judge not, I guess, is the take away here ๐Ÿ™‚
Hence my previous comment in this thread. Telling of myself when I was much younger and did a stupid thing. ๐Ÿ˜‰

susan-y
Explorer
Explorer
I too am quick to shake my head at other peoples stupidity.. how quickly I forget the various really dumb things I've done at the end of a long or tiring day. Judge not, I guess, is the take away here ๐Ÿ™‚
[purple]Life looks better through a windshield.
[/purple]
2008 Winnebago View