cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protectors. Do You Use One?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've ordered a portable surge protector from Camping World and expect to have it by next Thurs. Amazingly, I've managed to be OK without using one during my entire full time RVing career. I now feel that for the cost of one of these units (about $100+) the peace of mind is worth it.

If you're using one let us know if it has ever "saved your bacon" on occasion.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
49 REPLIES 49

tmmar
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a Progressive 'surge' surpresser for a number of years now. It has the ability to monitor the power coming into my coach. It has, on several occasions, alerted me to the fact that the power coming in to my coach was low voltage-as low as 103 volts- which as ed6713 indicated, could be harmful to A/C's and other electric motors. This problem is not limited to certain, off brand campgrounds. I found this problem in very large, prominent campgrounds like Disney's Fort Wilderness, Hershey High Meadow, and most recently, Sugarloaf Key KOA in Key West. It got to the point where the surge protector would shut down the power to my coach and reset a short time later. I feel that with all the electronics in today's coaches, it is well worth the investment of a few hundred dollars to protect the coach.
JMHO.
2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Saved us three times, that we know of in 8 years.

I glad it did.

When you consider all the expensive things electrical that could have been damaged inside.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always use one.....it seems like a less expensive alternative to all the damage that might occur without one.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
I use whole house wired one.
A while ago I plugged into the 30 amp outlet and the surge protector(Electrical Management System) told me the circuit was not grounded. I informed the campground host and showed him the indicator on the equipment. He said people had been using that spot for weeks and that means there is nothing wrong with the outlet. I said, no it doesn't. It simply means the users were lucky and no one was electrocuted. I moved to a different spot then quietly posted a note on the other box alerting the next user to be sure to test the ground before hooking up.

On several occasions it's alerted me to a low voltage condition that can be harmful to electric motors like the A/C.

For me, it's money well spent.

ed
๐Ÿ™‚

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I use one but only because someone gave it to me. It has never been tripped. I did have an encounter with lightning several years ago that no surge protector would have mattered
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)