cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Protectors. Do You Use One?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've ordered a portable surge protector from Camping World and expect to have it by next Thurs. Amazingly, I've managed to be OK without using one during my entire full time RVing career. I now feel that for the cost of one of these units (about $100+) the peace of mind is worth it.

If you're using one let us know if it has ever "saved your bacon" on occasion.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
49 REPLIES 49

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
Always use one. Ours is wired into the 5th wheel. It has alerted us to different electrical problems with hook ups. Low voltage etc.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have used one since the beginning. Hard wired in so easy. Saved me one time while the guy next to me on both sides was fried. It was a loose neutral I was told and ihad to replace mine but he had to replace his charger inverter ac and fridge. All newer FT come with surge protection and now seem to have the progressive system.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

khahuna
Explorer
Explorer
Saved our "bacon" 2 weeks ago in Georgia. Stopped for the evening in Valdosta and hooked up. Started the A/C. Everything working great. Went to supper about an hour later. We were gone for about 90 minutes and upon returning noticed A/C not working. Checked circuit breakers in coach and then pedestal breaker which was tripped. Reset and then noticed the large black burn stripe on surge protector ... toast! Stopped in Byron, GA and purchased another protector next day and had it installed in Chattanooga, TN the following morning. I would never be without one after this episode.
Dave & Jan Bussard
2016 Jayco Designer 5th Wheel 39RE
2016 Ford F350 CC 4x4 DRW w/8 foot box
Chloe Anne - passed 10/05/2016
Izzy - gone 08/12/2013 but not forgotten

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pulled into Merry Meadows, a nice, large family style RV park on the MD/PA border and found an open ground. Moved to another site and the power is fine. This is the second time in 12 days/2800+ miles that my Surge Guard EMS has found a problem. Yes the SG is worth every penny!
:C

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I picked up my Surge Guard at Camping World today. Got the model with the bells & whistles. They were real nice in honoring the sale price, which ended yesterday. The cost was $222 (I believe the regular price was around $356). So, I'm a happy camper. I managed to dodge the bullet all these years without a surge protector, but no more dodging for me. 🙂

Surge Guard model 34730

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased my new Progressive EMS today.
So back in a protected zone again.
Saved a few $$ rally price.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
A friend has had to replace 2 refrigerator circuit boards due to dirty power. Very expensive lessons. I have a Progressive Industries EMS and feel its well worth it.

There are 2 kinds of buyers for these types of protection, A buyers and B buyers. A buyers are the ones that buy AFTER the incident, B buyers are those that buy BEFORE and incident can happen. It's a lot like home security systems. Ever notice how people instantly buy a security system right AFTER their home is broken into ?
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
nelson wrote:
I have one, Used it for a short while, Not using it anymore.

That's smart. :h
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

nelson
Explorer
Explorer
I have one, Used it for a short while, Not using it anymore.
2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'm giving careful consideration to your comments here and will check out the higher rated units at Camping World. They have an Internet sale on Surge Guards that expires today. I'm going to try to get them to honor the sale tomorrow. The savings are quite generous on the higher rated units. 🙂

I have to go to Camping World anyway to return something and would rather pick up the Surge Guard in person than have it shipped.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I once had 160V on a properly wired 30A pedestal. The problem was a bad neutral in the CG 240/120V distribution system. My Progressive Industries HW50C shut down the power long before I could react. I've also found 3 cases of reverse polarity on a 30A CG plug. Plus numerous cases of low voltage especially in the summer with ACs running.

I've never had a problem with any 50A plug. Most 50A plugs are newer and the wiring is heavier. While many rigs can use the full power available in a 30A plug (3,600W) very very few rigs come close to using the full power of a 50A plug (12,000W).
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Progressive Portable EMS. Once at a Texas state Park I found a reverse polarity and at a relatives home had low voltage when they turned on a coffe maker in the AM. Both times the EMS cut the power. Lifetime warranty and all the various features made it make the most sense for me. I bpcan leave the voltmeter and polarity tester at home since it is all built in.
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
Just had a SG burn up at a CG.
Going to replace it as soon as we get to Escapade in Goshen next week.
Every RV made should have a EMS as part of standard equipment.

I'm happy you escaped without injuries or serious damage. We very nearly lost our fiver to a power surge. We now have two surge protectors. One installed and one on the power cord. No further problems.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Just had a SG burn up at a CG.
Going to replace it as soon as we get to Escapade in Goshen next week.
Every RV made should have a EMS as part of standard equipment.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+