cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Switch to houseboat?

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever considered switching to a houseboat? I'm getting tired of these 50 buck a night campground fees. Everyplace we go there's a nice lake to stay on free. W'd stay for a month or so. I'd have to pay for pump outs, maybe a launch fee or two, run a generator some but other than that, why not???? Once I sold the class A and put that down on the boat, the savings in CG fees would pay for the boat wouldn't it?

Something like this:
31 REPLIES 31

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up on boats. When I was young when school got out we would take off on the boat and not come back until school started back up. My dad and uncle used to build wood boats many years ago.
The last one they built was a 36' with a fly bridge. I had my own 16' glastron in a slip at the marina at 14. At 15 me and my best childhood friend stripped a 18' wood Thompson and many coats of varnish that thing was sweet. I got out of boating in my early 30s and switched to rving. We were burning 20 gal of fuel a hour. Marina overnight slip rates right now are as much or more than a campsite. I was always a DIY type and never had to spend big$$ on repairs.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
$50 a night is about on the high end of average! You can find cheaper out there but you are going to get cheaper!

And if youโ€™ve ever owned a boat, you are not going to save any money!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
no way its cheaper but "whatever floats your boat"
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Some years ago friends of mine that had a houseboat always used the expression: BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand....every time they stepped aboard.

I suspect that 'thousand' figure is at least double or triple today.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Has anyone ever considered switching to a houseboat? I'm getting tired of these 50 buck a night campground fees. Everyplace we go there's a nice lake to stay on free. W'd stay for a month or so. I'd have to pay for pump outs, maybe a launch fee or two, run a generator some but other than that, why not???? Once I sold the class A and put that down on the boat, the savings in CG fees would pay for the boat wouldn't it?

When all is said and done, in the long run, I can't think of any houseboat that would be cheaper to own/operate than a similar sized Class A motorhome of similar vintage. Now, . . . . . if you want to compare a houseboat to an aircraft, . . . . . you may have a valid point.

Chum lee

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Denton Ferry RV Parkon the White River 2nd week of June and a couple set up across the drive from us were in a cabin cruiser type boat. They just had a 3step folding ladder on the back to enter/exit and by the way they setup/closedup they camp in the boat often. First time I have seen this but may be more common along coast or Great Lakes area
When I was in business had a customer had a luxury houseboat on Lake O'Pines they lived full time in tied to a marina dock. This thing was huge, house AC system, beautiful boat. They just had dock rent & electric. Marina on CoE land so they didnt pay any property or school tax on this thing either.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Would not work for me with a Collie. Morning and evening walks would be a challenge.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Check that houseboatโ€™s payload!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I grew up on boats. A small houseboat that can be hauled around would be great. You can sleep in it on the road and move it to different lakes. The large houseboats hardly ever get moved. Then you spend the rest of your life on one lake.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
great idea until the weather goes bad. No place to hide on the open water...

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cannot put one on the lake where our house is in Alabama. No toilets of any kind and no house boats of any kind.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not a house boat but we've done both boat and RV.

For similar lifestyle and convenience, it will be at least as expensive, more likely higher cost.

As mentioned, anchoring out gets old real quick unless you like to just sit on the back deck and if you goal is just to go to remote areas to save money, you can boondock in an RV. If you go into marinas, expect a 50-100% increase in your per night cost for equivalent locations.

That said, getting a trailerable houseboat is not a bad idea. Rig it up with stairs and a pump out system so you can use it as either an RV or a boat and you've got a very flexible travel platform.

PS: Trailerable really makes a houseboat a compromise. On a boat, you really want to be able to easily get around to the edges of the boat in order to dock, anchor, etc... but that means you eat into the interior space. A 1ft wide side deck (very marginal) leaves you only just a 6ft wide interior assuming 8ft overall to avoid wide load permits.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small boat and some marinas have charged me $25 a day/night to keep the boat in a slip, so I load boat back onto trailer each day after boating.

I am not sure if a marina monthly/weekly charge is much less than some RV parks, just depends where and what lake/river..

I would like to live on a house boat on Puget Sound in NW Washinton, so much to see and do there plus you can boat into Canada..

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about TN but Ohio prohibits sleeping on a boat on most lakes. A 'few' have designated areas though. The dock and marina fees are probably going to be much higher than CG fees. If you buy fuel at marinas the cost per gallon(at least in Fl & OH) is much higher than you pay at the auto pump. I considered that awhile back and decided it was cheaper to pay CG fees. Fitznj is right, stay at state & national forests. Gary
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought would be how boring it might become? How restrictive it could be, depending on anchoring/riparian laws. And having kept a boat at a marina for a few years, how stunningly expensive it could be for repairs, services, etc. Plus... how expensive everything near a boat ramp/marina tends to be (groceries, restaurants, etc) And you're sort of captive during bad weather
tornado hits marina
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!