Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tahoe Towing

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
A friend has a newer Tahoe and wants to buy from an AD a Thor 29 ft
10,000 GVWR pull trailer. It has the V-8 but I don't remember the year. The power might be there but it doesn't seem logical that this vehicle can tow this much weight or better stated should tow this much weight. Any advice?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
10 REPLIES 10

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I knew that it wasn't going to work. Its way to much trailer for him.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Swell1 wrote:
This is to much weight for a Tahoe to pull. I have a 2011 Tahoe 4x4 with the Factory tow package Here's the ratings.

Payload 1616
Trailer weight rating (LBS) 8200
GVRW 7300

Good Luck

GVWR... an my Tahoe weighed almost 6,000 lbs. without people or cargo. Didn't leave much left over.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Swell1
Explorer
Explorer
This is to much weight for a Tahoe to pull. I have a 2011 Tahoe 4x4 with the Factory tow package Here's the ratings.

Payload 1616
Trailer weight rating (LBS) 8200
GVRW 7300

Good Luck
2017 SportTrek 271 VRB
2016 F150 Eco boost with max tow package

APT
Explorer
Explorer
REceiver limits of 2007+ GM SUVs is 1000 pounds when using a WDH. That's about 7500-8000 pound loaded TT. Tow ratings are under 8500 pounds. Payload of around 1400 pounds minus family and cargo inside means a practical TW lower than the 1000 pound receiver rating.

6k dry assuming the family is light is a good guideline for Tahoe and other half ton SUVs.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
10,000 GVWR pull trailer. It has the V-8 but I don't remember the year. The power might be there but it doesn't seem logical that this vehicle can tow this much weight or better stated should tow this much weight. Any advice?

??
Is this a MH you are talking about? Is it a diesel pusher?

Most gas MH's I've seen are rated for 6,000 lbs. And no one I know will tow that much weight they stay under.

For a GAS motor home a Tahoe is too heavy. Toad (towed car) should ideally weigh in around max 3,000 lbs. Even at that you will 'know' its' back there any heavier and you will be struggling to get up the smallest hills.

Diesel pusher MH's is a different story regarding weight of toad.

Hope some of this helps you. :C

I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about the Chevy Tahoe SUV - not a motorhome.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:

??
Is this a MH you are talking about? Is it a diesel pusher?

Most gas MH's I've seen are rated for 6,000 lbs. And no one I know will tow that much weight they stay under.

For a GAS motor home a Tahoe is too heavy. Toad (towed car) should ideally weigh in around max 3,000 lbs. Even at that you will 'know' its' back there any heavier and you will be struggling to get up the smallest hills.

Diesel pusher MH's is a different story regarding weight of toad.

Hope some of this helps you. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having towed a 6,400 GVWR travel trailer with a Tahoe, I'll have to agree with those above - no way with the 29' trailer described. The combo would be an accident waiting to happen and would endanger others on the road.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Things you can pass on to your friend:

1. Travel trailers are not just dead weight being pulled behind the tow vehicle. On average, 12 - 13 percent (could go up to 15 percent) of the trailer weight is being carried (tongue weight) by the tow vehicle. Thus, the tow vehicle must have both, towing capacity to pull the trailer, and payload capacity to carry the trailer's loaded tongue weight, in addition to the weight of aftermarket accessories, people, pets, weight distributing hitch (about 100 lbs), and cargo.

2. Look at the tire / loading sticker for a max occupant / cargo capacity. That is the weight capacity that Tahoe has to carry everything listed above.

3. At 10,000 GVWR, that trailer could eat up to 1500 lbs of payload. Quite likely, that Tahoe would be maxed out on payload, before he adds people, pets, accessories, or cargo.

4. Looking for Tahoe's max tow capacities, the highest I found was 8400 lbs.

5. That truck / trailer combination would be a very unpleasant (likely unsafe) towing experience.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Talk to your friend about Payload.
That trailer is going to have 1000-1200 lbs of tongue weight when travel loaded.
That's going to be up against it for the soft suspension and "P" rated tires of a Tahoe with the family and gear in it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
If it's loaded to the max 10k, it's too much for a Tahoe. The tow rating is only around 8k. A 10k gvwr trailer probably has a dry weight near the max tow rating already.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley