cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgaters

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
We're on our maiden voyage in our Class C. I drive a lot; my commute is 100 miles each day.

But I'm flabergasted at the folks on I-70 who insist on riding my bumper! I'm doing 55mph, far right lane, speed limit is 75. Both left lanes are open.

No exits for miles...

Really?

If I had some cool bumper stickers, then I could understand. But all it says back there is "Coachmen"...
81 REPLIES 81

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
For me, I want to avoid accidents.
I try to keep a safe distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me.
If I have a tailgater behind me, I need to increase the distance in front of me so that I have plenty of braking distance in front so I can avoid having to jam on the brakes and risk getting rear ended by the tailgater.
This safety space doesn't always work out as cars will/do change into my safety space in front of me.
The tailgater won't stay back there long....
They will figure it out and go around. Well, maybe....
I just try to enjoy the ride.
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
cooper841 wrote:
I will give you a brake check if you tailgate me.

Now THERE'S a wonderful idea! And should they or their brakes fail?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
I will give you a brake check if you tailgate me.
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It's all about having a PDL--Personal Driving Lane. Some folks have them and can't drive in other lanes.

Tailgating is worse than ever around my area. I'm not just referencing RV tailgating but just being on the road in any vehicle. The daily commute to and from a job that they can't stand but are afraid of losing has some folks slipping over the edge. They are in a race and some, full of rage, that they aren't winning. I find the best thing is to pull over and let them pass.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just set cruise on 65 mph if they tailgate I've got insurance if they don't. I don't let it bother me.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I rarely drive my truck camper over 55mph even though I can legally go the posted speed limit. It's called MY comfort zone for a reason. I never let someone tailgating push me into going faster. I just set the cruise and don't worry about 'em. I can't really quit checking my mirrors, there might be other problems I'm unaware of.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
We have a bumper sticker on both the 5'er and the truck: 55 SAVES FUEL

And BTW, it does and we do.

Measured several times. 13 mpg towing at 55 (diesel truck). Nearly 20% less at 65.

Tailgate all you want. Won't effect anything but YOUR blood pressure.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the speed limit there the same for truck with trailers as it is with normal cars.

Here, the speed limit is 55 for trucks with trailers. And you need to be in the right lane unless passing.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Your well above the minimum speed, their problem not yours.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I am going to stray a little to the other side here. The only places I70 speed limit is 75 MPH in Colorado is two lanes each way. You are 20 MPH under the posted speed limit, and the average speed is likely closer to 80 MPH. You are within your rights to be that speed, but if it bothers you, maybe consider getting off the interstate.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Drive a truck for a living. Some of the stupid things that I see people do. And it doesn't matter what kind of vehicle from a motorcycle to big trucks and everything in between, I've seen stupid in all of them.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've noticed the same thing, in fact I've had people come up behind me because I'm going slower than they, and then sit on my bumper. What??!! If I've got the cruise on I start tapping the Decelerate button until they go around. Sometimes it's amazing how slow I have to go before they pass. When I accelerate back to my cruising speed they steadily pull away. I simply don't understand the whole thing.

This is all on the interstate of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Pull a fiver and see how close an 18 wheeler will draft you. I've had that a few times on I20 here in Alabama. I just set my cruise at 62 and enjoy the ride.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking of a bumper sticker. "If you are close enough to read this please PUSH & save me gas".
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
I'm not quite sure how it happens, but when somebody gets on my asss, my vehicle begins to slow down. Can't quite figure out why.....
Mine, too!!!!! Not sure what it is...something about space quotient .......the smaller the space, the slower we go....:) ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend