cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgaters

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
We're on our maiden voyage in our Class C. I drive a lot; my commute is 100 miles each day.

But I'm flabergasted at the folks on I-70 who insist on riding my bumper! I'm doing 55mph, far right lane, speed limit is 75. Both left lanes are open.

No exits for miles...

Really?

If I had some cool bumper stickers, then I could understand. But all it says back there is "Coachmen"...
81 REPLIES 81

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
We also try to stay in the right lane and if on a 2 lane road try to maintain the speed limit. Just a note. When driving my car I always run the speed limit or a few over, but still sometimes have someone tailgate me even in the right lane when the other lane is open. I do not get that. When that happens, I use my windshield washer, the water runs all over the windshield on the car following and I suddenly see their wipers go. That normally backs the person off... must not have seen the bug smash on my windshield that I had to clean.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 5er. You won't be able to see them back there. Problem solved. ๐Ÿ™‚

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I hate tailgaters. And on a 4 lane road there is no need for them whatsoever!! What are they thinking???

55 is a little slow though. Still, if there is room to get around you I can see no reason why they can't read the road ahead and get into the left lane ahead of time to get safely around you.

Driver education in the US has become a joke. It's too easy to get a license. All they do in MN is to put in "graduated licenses" so people have to drive longer before they can get a license. But, no one is teaching drivers education anymore.

It's a shame.

Don't bother me, if they hit me their fault!!!
There are STUPID drivers that just need to tailgate!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate tailgaters. And on a 4 lane road there is no need for them whatsoever!! What are they thinking???

55 is a little slow though. Still, if there is room to get around you I can see no reason why they can't read the road ahead and get into the left lane ahead of time to get safely around you.

Driver education in the US has become a joke. It's too easy to get a license. All they do in MN is to put in "graduated licenses" so people have to drive longer before they can get a license. But, no one is teaching drivers education anymore.

It's a shame.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
That's me back there...I'm trying to tell you your tires are nothing but blue smoke and your tanks are leaking and I dodged your spare tire falling off 3 miles ago....
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do, drive the speed you are most comfortable with and do not let anyone behind you intimidate you. If you are in the far right lane, no intention of moving to the left, you really don't even need to look in your mirrors. Just keep driving and let them eventually pass you. Drive peacefully and enjoy the ride! When towing my trailer, as long as I am above the "minimum" speed limit, I don't care what's going on behind me. I usually tow at 60-65 if on an interstate, but very seldom any faster. I sometimes have someone riding my bumper, but I simply ignore them. On 2 lane roads, depending on the road, I try to run the speed limit, whatever that is. I've heard too many stories about small town speed traps, so I'm not speeding on unknown roads. I don't care whose behind me riding my bumper.

Drive safe, stay to the right and just ignore everyone. As you said, they have ample opportunity to pass. If they don't pass, they must enjoy following you.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not quite sure how it happens, but when somebody gets on my asss, my vehicle begins to slow down. Can't quite figure out why.....