cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Take TV out over winter.

Jebster
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to decide if we should take our TV out over the winter. Who does and doesn't?

Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I say take it out. Not because it will get damaged, I just want my post to be different than all the others. :B
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
no, don't take it out. ever.

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was -28 degrees when we brought the brand spanking new 5er home from the dealer with the tv in there so guess it's gonna stay in there 24/7/365.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Jebster wrote:
Trying to decide if we should take our TV out over the winter. Who does and doesn't?

Thanks

we don't..no need. the TVs will do just fine in sub-zero weather. just don't try to power them up until they and the room have warmed up to a room temp where the humans are comfy.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Jebster
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it seems like everyone thinks I should take it out......a hahahahahaha! Thanks folks, won't mess with taking it out.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We leave all 3 LCD displays in our Motorhome year round. Five and a half years later and all the TVs work fine.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
If you leave your TV in your RV over the winter, all the pixels will freeze and fall in a pile at the bottom of the screen.

Just Kidding. :B

Pixel fairy will also pick them up and and fly away too!

We leave the one mounted in the up and down thing cabinet because you have to go through a window to unscrew the mount. The other one in the bed room is a quick mount I installed myself. It comes inside, because we use it over the winter.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Check the manual for storage temperature specifications.

Otherwise, NO

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
skipnchar wrote:
Mine stays in the RV 365. The only way you can get into trouble leaving it in is if you choose to sit out in the RV with no heat turned on and watch TV but don't know anybody who does that. For what it's worth there is no liquid in liquid crystal diodes (LCD televisions). "Liquid" describes it's characteristics not it's properties.
Good luck / Skip

Sitting out in the cold watching would almost certainly be OK for the TV. I won't speculate what it does to the sanity of the couch potato. The screen might not look its best if its very cold (response time tends to go down, and such like).

Trouble can come if you use it while condensation has formed inside, which happens when the surrounding air is warmer than the TV (and has sufficient humidity), hence the wisdom of letting it warm up before using it. Even if not for the electronics, it's hard to make out what's going on when the screen is all fogged up.

But yeah, there's no more need of bringing the TV in for the winter than there is of bringing in the converter or the engine computer or any of the other electronics.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stays in the RV 365. The only way you can get into trouble leaving it in is if you choose to sit out in the RV with no heat turned on and watch TV but don't know anybody who does that. For what it's worth there is no liquid in liquid crystal diodes (LCD televisions). "Liquid" describes it's characteristics not it's properties.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
we live in Florida, camping all year...
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

twodoor
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
Have never taken out the tv in any of my last 5 trailers over 20 years, no problem. Dealers do not take them out and there are thousands of frozen TV's in trailers on their lots all over northern USA and Canada.

Thats my theory.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If you leave your TV in your RV over the winter, all the pixels will freeze and fall in a pile at the bottom of the screen.

Just Kidding. :B
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The quick explanation for leaving LCD TV's in place is that there is NO liquid in an LCD, only crystals that have some liquid like properties. They do not freeze.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate