cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ten year old MHs

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
In another posting recently, someone was worried about buying a used MH because it would become ten years old in a couple of years. They didn't want to refused admittance to RV parks when it became ten years old.

Has any of the forum members been turned away from an RV park when their RV turned ten years old?

Has anyone ever been turned away in an RV considerably older than ten years? 12, 15, 18 years old?

The rules may be there, but has it really happened to anyone?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
28 REPLIES 28

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
D & M wrote:
Rarely. But it is always a good topic to toss out to stir up the pot when a Walmart or dog owner post just won't do.

No not really - if I wanted to stir up the pot I'd do a posting along the lines that you shouldn't use Costco toilet paper, it's the worst one possible to use in an RV and my dealer told me it would void my warranty if I used it. Now that would get people going. (Costco is the only toilet paper I use at home or in the MH)

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
Rarely. But it is always a good topic to toss out to stir up the pot when a Walmart or dog owner post just won't do.

Dave... how did you get to Iowa without going through Wisconsin or Illinois?
2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
D & M wrote:

Now that's Funny!!!

Seriously, I have never been turned away in my 1995 American Dream that I had for 11 years. I reserved a new site next winter with my signature motorhome and just told them it was a 2006. That saved any hassle of questions or rules in place. I've never heard of anyone having to show a current registration to prove the year of the coach.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
You asked if anybody has been turned down for having an RV older than 10 years.

Yes, I have.

In Salem Or about 5 years ago.

They did not see my rig because I went there in a car to make reservations. Was truthful and the guy said sorry, you can't stay here.

No problem. I moved down the road a short distance where it was cheaper and had a real nice pool. All worked out well for everybody. ๐Ÿ™‚
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
In the eleven years here on the forum, I have heard of happening only one or two times, although I do know of two RV Motor home "only" resorts that have the rule and enforce it.

It is NOT common and only found in private parks.

State, federal, and national parks do not have the rule at all.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 1998 Nash that looks ugly from the outside. Previous owner tried to wash off black streaks and succeeded... by washing to bare aluminum in some places. Its ugly and well past 10 years old. 3 years ago we took it to a RV resort in Florida... a $110/night place that was the closest to the beach where we wanted to be that had an open spot. We will never stay there again, cost is absurd. BUT... we weren't turned away. We had, by far, the oldest smallest ugliest trailer there...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nobody in the American Clipper Owners Club that I know of has ever been turned away. The clippers are 34 to 41 years old.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, you're lazy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I've read several of those post, not all by any means, but did not see anyone with personal experience of being turned away. I have a 17 year old RV and have stayed at several 10 year rule parks with no questions asked.

I did ask one park, several years ago, why would they turn away business. Was told the 10 year rule was in place to keep out trashy looking campers. So as long as your camper looks presentable, I don't think you'll have a problem with age.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
In conclusion...
That "rule" just gives the managers the option of turning people / rigs away if they are so rundown that they will cause liability issues, complaints from customers, or give the campground / resort a bad reputation.
As long as the rig is presentable, there shouldn't be any rejections.

I've camped in a 20 year old Westfalia... never been turned away.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca - yes, 4,650 posts discussing it. Sorry, I know it's always being discussed, but I wanted to know how many people it had actually happened to without reading all of the "discussions" - call me lazy?

Bill

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
In most parks appearance is more important that age.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Guysakar
Explorer
Explorer
Any park who would turn someone away because their MH was 10 years old...I don't even know what to say. Not my kind of people.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
4,650 posts discussing your question- and that's just here at RV.net!

Hope this helps. ๐Ÿ™‚
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien