cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thomas Payne Furniture - AVOID IT

byron_bailey
Explorer
Explorer
In October 2019, we purchased 4 pieces of new Thomas Payne furniture as follows:

Theater Seating left hand recliner
Jaleco Chocolate $562.50

Theater Seating right hand recliner
Jaleco Chocolate $562.50

Theater Seating center console
Jaleco Chocolate $187.50

60โ€ Trifold Sofa
Jaleco Chocolate $1115.63

Total $2428.13 + $200.33 sales tax

This summer, less than 3 years later, the fabric on the recliner seat backs began shredding. They look horrible. This furniture has been well cared-for and we have no pets.

Even though the furniture was out of warranty, I contacted Lippert for product support. My problem (fabric shredding) is obviously not an isolated incident, because I was immediately offered a 50% discount on new furniture. The problems with this offer are numerous. Number one is that Jaleco Chocolate has been replaced with Majestic Chocolate, and the colors are very different. Therefore, any new pieces that we would purchase would not match the old pieces.
Number two is that the prices have gone up over $100 per recliner. Even with the 50% discount, we were quoted the following prices (plus sales tax and shipping):

Right Hand Recliner $668.95 less 50% = $334.48
Left hand Recliner $668.95 less 50% = $334.48
Center Console $224.95 less 50% = $112.48

After less than 3 years of use, we would be looking at nearly $1,000 to replace three pieces of our low-quality Thomas Payne furniture. AVOID PURCHASING THOMAS PAYNE FURNITURE AT ALL COSTS!
39 REPLIES 39

BobsYourUncle wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Soooo, you bought......snip

it has everything to do with RV'ing as it is made specifically for RV's by Lippert.. And i was just ASSUMING he meant he purchased it in 2016...
AND like MOST posters, they start off with a bang, then realize the info they can actually get from staying around

To the OP..

our TP furniture held up great in our 2016...

Well, alrighty! I shall stand corrected! :):)

I failed to make the connection of Lippert to furniture to RVing. Thought he was talking residential stuff and I thought all that furniture wouldn't fit in an RV.

I have seen a lot of one time posters show up to hammer a product, then you never hear from them again.

Oh well, live and learn! Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚

:C . I agree with everything above..Its actually funny... I never heard of Thomas Payne furniture until,the RV had it... I probably would have reacted the same....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
A friend's family business is building limo's and such.

I asked him about 'bonded leather' furniture and he warned me away from anything that wasn't from a solid company with a LOT of experience in vehicle furniture.

It seems the stuff intended for a S & B won't stand up to the high temperatures of a sealed up vehicle sitting in the sunshine. Interior temps can rise to more than 40 deg. over outside temps in just an hour on a hot sunny day.
The bonded leather in my seasonal has been in extreme cold, down to -45 degrees but no extreme heat. It has had several generation's of Collies using it as a bed and held up very well. No holes, no rips and no delamination. It's very thick compared to the paper thin RV product. I've owned the love seat for ten years now. I do not know how it would handle extreme heat in southern climates.

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ I can see why after some of the replies!
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobsYourUncle wrote:
I have seen a lot of one time posters show up to hammer a product, then you never hear from them again.
We get a lot of that on here. Drive-by posts. Why bother?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
A friend's family business is building limo's and such.

I asked him about 'bonded leather' furniture and he warned me away from anything that wasn't from a solid company with a LOT of experience in vehicle furniture.

It seems the stuff intended for a S & B won't stand up to the high temperatures of a sealed up vehicle sitting in the sunshine. Interior temps can rise to more than 40 deg. over outside temps in just an hour on a hot sunny day.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
cavie wrote:
Just think of how long that FAUX leather would have lasted in you house. You get what you pay for when it comes to ANYTHING RV! From bumper to bumper it all comes down to the $$$. Quality is non existent in the RV world. I wish people would do the research BEFORE they buy not After the problems start.
I have purchased several items of bonded leather that has held up great even with Collies using it as a bed. It was Flash Furniture, Diplomat model. A sofa, love seat and chair was around $1400. shipped. The trouble is it does not come apart to get it into a RV. I was luck in having a large door. They sell this as office furniture.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hammerboy wrote:
Geez, and we wonder why forum participation has fallen off. Give it a few more years and it's going to be just a few crotchety old people left doing nothing but throwing out snarky comments.
Give people a break here. Who cares if it's a newby posting, I wouldn't want to come back around either given the tone of some of these threads. We tend to bash people when they have a complaint, bash them when they asked a question thats been asked many times and be told to use the search funtion, etc As I said give them a break. :R
Dan
Thank you, could not have said it better myself.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
First time poster, no profile, no RV, badmouthing furniture. Right. This is legitimate.
I know several people that bought TP furniture and had it do the same as OP.

Several have complained about it on this same forum.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Geez, and we wonder why forum participation has fallen off. Give it a few more years and it's going to be just a few crotchety old people left doing nothing but throwing out snarky comments.
Give people a break here. Who cares if it's a newby posting, I wouldn't want to come back around either given the tone of some of these threads. We tend to bash people when they have a complaint, bash them when they asked a question thats been asked many times and be told to use the search funtion, etc As I said give them a break. :R
Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobsYourUncle wrote:

And as a new member here, you have one post, to express dissatisfaction over something you just bought.

Your forum, your rules. But just for my information, How long do I need to be a member, and how many posts before I can complain about a good or service I have bought?

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Just think of how long that FAUX leather would have lasted in you house. You get what you pay for when it comes to ANYTHING RV! From bumper to bumper it all comes down to the $$$. Quality is non existent in the RV world. I wish people would do the research BEFORE they buy not After the problems start.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP said he bought it in October of 2019. It's junk now.

Funny thing is my in laws bought a Keystone Cougar with the same Thomas Payne furniture 2 years ago and it's been flawless. Very comfortable and we're looking to put the same in our trailer. Not sure if this OP is a bogus troll or not
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ford truck guy wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Soooo, you bought......snip

it has everything to do with RV'ing as it is made specifically for RV's by Lippert.. And i was just ASSUMING he meant he purchased it in 2016...
AND like MOST posters, they start off with a bang, then realize the info they can actually get from staying around

To the OP..

our TP furniture held up great in our 2016...

Well, alrighty! I shall stand corrected! :):)

I failed to make the connection of Lippert to furniture to RVing. Thought he was talking residential stuff and I thought all that furniture wouldn't fit in an RV.

Oh well, live and learn! Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm going to the Open Range rally in Indiana next summer. While there I'm going to visit a couple rv furniture stores like this one. http://lambrightcomfortchairllc.com/
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
First time poster, no profile, no RV, badmouthing furniture. Right. This is legitimate.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman