Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Manufacturer Recommendations?

dacraven
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We have a 2013 Skyline Mountain View Joey Select (TT), currently with 225/75R15 Power King Tow Max tires load range D's. About 2 months ago we had a blow out that caused significant damage to the wheel well and I always check pressure, never overload and travel usually about 65-70mph when pulling. The GVWR is about 8500. The tires appeared to be in great shape when it blew and I've subsequently found a lot of bad reviews for those tires.

I have been looking to replace the set before we leave on a trip that will be roughly a 1400 mile trip in December and I want to have a dependable set of tires.

I am also fairly intent on buying a load range E set this time.

I have found some Trailer Kings on amazon with mostly good reviews but wanted any opinions on reputable tire manufacturers.

Any suggestions?
27 REPLIES 27

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I put LT's on my last two RVs and they have been flawless . My last two sets of STs grenaded at four years to the month just like clockwork . LT's are great and you just have to stay within the load range of the tire . Even if you have to upgrade your rims to a higher PSI rating you will be much better off. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

dacraven
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Ok, the first thing you have to answer is did the tire really blow? When tires "blow" it is LOUD because there is a lot of pressure and energy! Most of the time a tire loses pressure and then they get so hot the scissor off of the rim and then they come apart. This is why I've seen lots of trailers driving on a rim or driving on a flat tire.

How did you find out the tire went away? I've never had a "blown" tire in 35+ years of RVing. I've had many flat tires. Some I caught in time..............some I didn't.

Did you have a TPM on your tire that blew? What did the tire look like after you got your rig stopped? Was there anything left on the rim?

My point is, it won't matter what kind of tire you put on if you had a puncture and lost air pressure and the tire came apart.

As to it blowing out, whether it was or not, I use the term loosely to describe the loud pop when it went and the explosive nature of the incident. The tread had separated away from half of the tire. Either way, I had checked the tires and pressure 30 minutes prior to it going and had been on the road for only that time.

The manufacturer has already agreed to pay for it based on their assessment of the tire failure. I seek only some consensus to more reputable brands.

dacraven
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
I had good luck with Maxxis but if buying today, I would probably go with the Carlisle HD load range E.

ya it looks like a lot of people have been happy with the maxxis. Did you upgrade to the E from a D load range? if so, any noticeable changes with ride, traction, etc? and are you running at 80psi?

thanks!

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I had good luck with Maxxis but if buying today, I would probably go with the Carlisle HD load range E.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

manualman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 3,500# rated single axle popup came with plain old school Loadstar ST bias tires. They were outstanding and went 7 years and about 15,000 miles and still had no sidewall cracking when I replaced them due to age. Still had plenty of tread (if slightly cupped due to no shocks). I just didn't want to risk tires older than that.

I replaced them with the same tire and bought from E-trailer.com. Was worried how old the tires would be since it was sipped, but the date stamps on the new ones were just 7 months old at the time they were delivered to me. Very happy with that website price and service. That was 2 years ago now and so far same good performance on the new ones.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, the first thing you have to answer is did the tire really blow? When tires "blow" it is LOUD because there is a lot of pressure and energy! Most of the time a tire loses pressure and then they get so hot the scissor off of the rim and then they come apart. This is why I've seen lots of trailers driving on a rim or driving on a flat tire.

How did you find out the tire went away? I've never had a "blown" tire in 35+ years of RVing. I've had many flat tires. Some I caught in time..............some I didn't.

Did you have a TPM on your tire that blew? What did the tire look like after you got your rig stopped? Was there anything left on the rim?

My point is, it won't matter what kind of tire you put on if you had a puncture and lost air pressure and the tire came apart.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
I would go with Maxxis or Carlisle HD tires.

X2...or X3...whatever the count is now.

dacraven
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
The Provider ST225/75-15 D at 2540 lbs capacity/65 psi. Four tires = 10160 lb capacity. You sure don't need a load E tire at 80 psi for that size trailer.

The Provider has a M speed rating (81mph) and has the nylon overlay that the newer gen ST tires come with. Higher speed rating is much to do with with standing heat issues/etc.

Also the Goodyear Wrangler HT in a LT215/75-15 D at 2180 lb capacity will give you 8740 lbs capacity .....well above your trailer axle/wheel load ratings.
These tire are good for 6-8 years and 35k-40k miles if you travel a lot. Their speed rating is whatever you want to travel at.....and available at any Goodyear store in the USA.

ok, I was afraid of needing to change rims with the E's also. Mine have a max load of 2,830 and it appears from what I can find that they could handle the E's. I wasn't sure if the load E would be overkill, but I was reading that a lot of people were upgrading their load D's for the E and were happier with the performance.

Mostly, I just want a better quality tire. The Maxxis have great reviews, but the Provider looks good too.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The Provider ST225/75-15 D at 2540 lbs capacity/65 psi. Four tires = 10160 lb capacity. You sure don't need a load E tire at 80 psi for that size trailer.

The Provider has a M speed rating (81mph) and has the nylon overlay that the newer gen ST tires come with. Higher speed rating is much to do with with standing heat issues/etc.

Also the Goodyear Wrangler HT in a LT215/75-15 D at 2180 lb capacity will give you 8740 lbs capacity .....well above your trailer axle/wheel load ratings.
These tire are good for 6-8 years and 35k-40k miles if you travel a lot. Their speed rating is whatever you want to travel at.....and available at any Goodyear store in the USA.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dacraven
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I agree with 3oaks, and will add another... Provider (see at E-trailer).

Jerry

Great, I'm going to look into those! thank you.

dacraven
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:

Great, thank you for the Recommendation. I will check them out!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree with 3oaks, and will add another... Provider (see at E-trailer).

Jerry

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer