Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Freezing Issue

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks.

We usually migrate from here in Oregon to Yuma for the winter, but are spending our first winter here in cold country. I have always kept some water in the toilet bowl to prevent the seal from drying out. Now I am storing the rv here where it freezes at night. Is there any additive I can use for the toilet bowl water to keep it from freezing? I have found that antifreeze clots and fouls the toilet. I considered adding salt, but am afraid it would damage the toilet.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
31 REPLIES 31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Little olive oil in the bowel.
:E
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dedmiston
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:

Pretty sure you mean "bowl" and not "bowel", unless you're addressing the problem from further up the supply chain.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who responded.

"I can't resist...do you have poopsicles? " At the risk of sounding dumb ID man, I can't resist asking---what do you mean by `popsicles?" Ah, after rereading I see I dropped an o. Nah, just worried about ice damaging the seal.

Hi J Herb. Good to hear from you.
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
J herb wrote:
HI Art,
It's been a long time since we have talked!

I have used RV antifreeze from Walmart ever since we got the Casita and never had a problem with the toilet or any of the plumbing.
I first blow out the lines then add RV antifreeze pump it into the system and add extra to the toilet to keep the seal pliable.

May I ask why you bother to blow the lines out if you running antifreeze thru them, the antifreeze just pushes the water out ahead of it. Soon as I start seeing pink, I go to the next one.

As far as using my air compressor , and seen what drains out of the bottom ,when I drain the water from it. I would need some kind of filter system on my compressor before I would blow that air into my water lines on an RV.

The compressor is handy and adding RV antifreeze is extra protection ,
My BIL only blow out his system and some of the water was left in the toilet valve and it froze and cracked it. It works for me and it's cheep to do.
J herb

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
keep the door to the toilet open.

Pretty simple just leave the bowl empty .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
J herb wrote:
HI Art,

I have used RV antifreeze from Walmart ever since we got the Casita and never had a problem with the toilet or any of the plumbing.
I first blow out the lines then add RV antifreeze pump it into the system and add extra to the toilet to keep the seal pliable.

May I ask why you bother to blow the lines out if you running antifreeze thru them, the antifreeze just pushes the water out ahead of it. Soon as I start seeing pink, I go to the next one.

As far as using my air compressor , and seen what drains out of the bottom ,when I drain the water from it. I would need some kind of filter system on my compressor before I would blow that air into my water lines on an RV.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
HI Art,

J herb

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Did anyone ever notice that new replacement seals do not come in a container of liquid?

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I can't resist...do you have poopsicles?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
As true with most things, the cheapest, is not always the best choice. Get a quality RV anti-freeze, non ethanol, and results will be better. I like Prestone RV, labeled no alcohol. It is getting harder to find, but similar types are readily available.

Jerry

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Regular rv pink antifreeze should work fine.......we use it here in the park when we winterize the bathrooms here at TouVelle SP
cpaulsen

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Thetford makes a seal additive to keep the seals pliable. Just use it or as suggested some olive oil.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
If the water is freezing in the toilet bowl while you're staying in the rig, you have much bigger issues to solve.

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what kind of antifreeze you are talking about, but I have been using pink RV plumbing antifreeze in my stored RV toilet bowls without any issues for years... Sure no "clots or fouls"??...is your trailer winterized?...just flush the pink stuff thru the toilet when you winterize and keep some in the bowl like you would if it were water. Keep a jug handy to add some pink stuff to the bowl if it evaporates a bit thru the winter.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer