cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet issues

jpjulian
Explorer
Explorer
Pardon me if this has been covered ad nauseum, but we have a Dometic 510 series toilet in our Excel. We had a similar toilet in our former Big Horn. Just what does it take to get the damned thing to hold water in the bowl? We've cleaned according to the manual, changed gaskets, and performed Voodoo rituals but the damed thing won't hold water in the bowl and we get sewer gas in the unit, particularly if we run an exhaust fan. We had a different brand, don't remember which, in 2 previous Sunnybrooks with nary an issue. These damned Domestics with the balls in the bottom of the toilets are just a bad design. Is there a better alternative? Is there a better way to get the freaking thing to seal?

Joe
2018 Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 5th wheel, 2015 Ford F350 DRW Diesel. Retired Illinois State Trooper. Kids gone. Dogs gone. We're gone!!
8 REPLIES 8

jpjulian
Explorer
Explorer
1. We let the foot pedal slam
2. We cleaned the ball and seal... yes used latex gloves.
3. Have not tried the Dawn thing but will tomorrow
4. Have not tried lubricating but will tomorrow

Q. How best to clean the ball when the ball retracts when the foot pedal is pressed? Does the Dawn take care of that?

Joe
2018 Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 5th wheel, 2015 Ford F350 DRW Diesel. Retired Illinois State Trooper. Kids gone. Dogs gone. We're gone!!

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Swear at it some more - but not at us!!
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

bluegypsy
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced the gaskets, didn't help much. Replaced the ball and gaskets, works good now.
Bluegypsy (that's the RV's name)

Map shows where we've lived and worked, travelling through doesn't count....

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let the foot pedal "SLAM" back up. Push the pedal to the floor while the pedal is on the floor pull your foot straight back to allow full "snappage". Sometimes the two screws that hold the spring cartridge are too tight.

Yes on the Dawn soap.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
First you need to make sure seal is clean. That means using your fingers to go completely around seal top/bottom/sides checking for deposits/tears flexing it while you check.

Then using your fingers coat the seal thoroughly with good lubricant (NOTHING petroleum based ---- olive oil or pledge furniture polish is GOOD)

Also clean ball top and edges ...... lubricate

Add water to bowl.
If it drains out ...... tighten band clamp (minor adjustment)

Check ball open close function

Repeat until ball open/closes and water remains in bowl

X2 and yes wear latex gloves
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
First you need to make sure seal is clean. That means using your fingers to go completely around seal top/bottom/sides checking for deposits/tears flexing it while you check.

Then using your fingers coat the seal thoroughly with good lubricant (NOTHING petroleum based ---- olive oil or pledge furniture polish is GOOD)

Also clean ball top and edges ...... lubricate

Add water to bowl.
If it drains out ...... tighten band clamp (minor adjustment)

Check ball open close function

Repeat until ball open/closes and water remains in bowl
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
I occasionally have an issue. If I let off the pedal from the ground so it "snaps" shut that takes care of it. I try to lube the seal often and that keeps it happy.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com

A1B00902
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good luck by adding Dawn liquid into the bowl ,may take 1-2 times but it does stop the water draining out