cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tongue Jack Issues

bosworthj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Fun Finder 26RBSS that we purchased a couple of years ago. I am pretty sure it has a Lippert 285318 power tongue jack. About a year ago, I discovered that when it is already all the way up and you accidentally press the button the wrong way, you can overload it and blow the in-line fuse. Before I found the fuse and bought some extras I had to pull the small cap off the top and crank it by hand. Ever since then, it has been much louder than it used to be and seems to make more of a grinding noise. Finding a fix for that is my first issue. The second issue is, the unit takes a 30 AMP fuse. Is it possible to put a 40 AMP fuse in there to give a little more of a buffer for accidentally pressing the button the wrong way or would that most likely burn the motor out?

Thanks for any help!
Jay Bosworth

2016 2500 GMC Sierra LT 6.0L

2016 Fun Finder by Cruiser 265RBSS
13 REPLIES 13

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Lol. See the best wax for lazy people thread to understand the post above you!

On another note. While this thread is going on discussing how easy it is to break a trailer jack, there's another one going whee people are suggesting to use the trailer jack to try to pick up the back of the truck a ways to ensure the hitch is locked on!!
(Also applies to the principles exuded for remote control trailer jacks and the bwflp thread.)

RVnet should charge for some of the entertainment here!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
gmckenzie wrote:

Surprised so many don't want the remote with the Husky. My next one will have the remote so I can back up with my camera and drop the tongue on the ball without getting out of the truck.

Does that remote also throw the latch, insert the pin, plug in the 7 way, and connect the breakaway cable?

Lakeland_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
"Surprised so many don't want the remote with the Husky. My next one will have the remote so I can back up with my camera and drop the tongue on the ball without getting out of the truck. I typically hook up alone. When my wife helps, she does a great job, but she is often still doing stuff."

This is exactly what I do. On a good day I only have to get out to close the latch.

I did find, however, that it is sometimes difficult to tell when I was in position for the hook up because of the shadow behind the truck.

So I painted the couplier and ball mount a florescent orange, problem solved.

bosworthj
Explorer
Explorer
Great point. I usually hook up by myself most of the time as well. Maybe they are thinking it is just another point of failure. You'd still be able to use the controls right on the unit so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I think I am leaning towards the Husky 4500 when I get the money together.
Jay Bosworth

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
bosworthj wrote:
Just in case anyone else stumbles on this post. I came across this post with recommendations on tongue jacks to buy.

So even though I didn't get all of my answers here, I think I am all set now.

Surprised so many don't want the remote with the Husky. My next one will have the remote so I can back up with my camera and drop the tongue on the ball without getting out of the truck. I typically hook up alone. When my wife helps, she does a great job, but she is often still doing stuff.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

bosworthj
Explorer
Explorer
Just in case anyone else stumbles on this post. I came across this post with recommendations on tongue jacks to buy.

So even though I didn't get all of my answers here, I think I am all set now.
Jay Bosworth

bosworthj
Explorer
Explorer
"When a Lippert jack starts making the grinding noise, it's just a matter of time. When it goes if it shears the shaft, the hand crank will not work. Overpriced junk. "

Any recommendations on a replacement jack if I decide to go that route? I can't imagine it is that hard to swap one out if you have a floor jack...

My friends just bought a new trailer that has a BAL LS 5.3 and I can't believe how fast it goes up and down!
Jay Bosworth

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just looked and mine uses the glass type which would be tough to find.
Think I'll convert and be ready just in case.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
bosworthj wrote:
Ah yes, slow blow. I should have remembered my time working at Radio Shack. Do they make those in the blade style? I'll just Google it ๐Ÿ™‚

I am still concerned about the excessive grinding noise though.

When a Lippert jack starts making the grinding noise, it's just a matter of time. When it goes if it shears the shaft, the hand crank will not work. Overpriced junk.

bosworthj
Explorer
Explorer
Ah yes, slow blow. I should have remembered my time working at Radio Shack. Do they make those in the blade style? I'll just Google it ๐Ÿ™‚

I am still concerned about the excessive grinding noise though.
Jay Bosworth

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You need a 30A Time Delay (AKA slow-blow) fuse. They are commonly used with motors that have large surge current draw.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Unfortunately it is common to blow the fuse like that. The other caveat is to make sure you let the jack stop moving before switching directions. I would hitch the trailer up and then figure out how to disassemble inspect and grease the jack.

And most importantly, always make sure your body especially your feet are clear of the trailer when using the jack in case it fails and falls. If it falls it will come down faster than you can react, as in it will be on the ground before you even realize it failed and fell. You don't want your body parts anywhere near that impact point.

No on the 40 amp fuse, but you can replace the 30 amp with a 30 amp automatically resetting circuit breaker from the auto parts store.

Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
no 40 amp fuse. The fuse is there to protect the wire from burning. Grease/oil the jack. Paint a line on the jack before it gets to the top.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.