cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

torn between two toads

jgkeeto
Explorer
Explorer
so tomorrow we are going and signing the paperwork for our 2014 itascan sunstar 30t, can't wait very excited, but we are wanting a toad we can tow behind that is light weight and 4 down.
we kind of narrowed it down to 2.
2014 fiat 500L manual and 2014 ford focus automatic
(notice how we are keeping the car the same year as the MH,LOL)
both are about price within 1000 bucks, no problem there.
the fiat has no restrictions on speed or miles driving, the focus says max speed 70 (not really planning on going faster than that while driving the MH) and no restriction of miles.
haven't driven a manual in 40 years, and the ford has more spunk.
other than that they are both base models nothing special and don't need it.
so, all you wonderful people out there, could use some advice as to which direction to go or any suggestions on a different light weight toad.
need to make our mind up fast, want to start heading south by 12/10 and would still need to have someone install the blue ox towing package.

thanks ahead of time for the responses.
23 REPLIES 23

RURBAN1185
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that starting in 2014 that the automatic ford Focus was towable will all 4 down, does anybody tow an automatic Ford Focus?

Reng8d
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
The thread title reminds me of the song "Torn Between Two Lovers...or Toads"

Now that is funny right there...I don't care who you are!!!
Stephen and Nancy ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Love my 2009 CRV. No problems and no issues, just regular maintenance.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horizon170 wrote:
I would select the Fiat.

Yikes that is one butt-ugly car.
Go for the Ford.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I would select the Fiat.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

db7512
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Fiat 500 and love it. Nothing to do when towing other than hook it up. It is small and light. Fun to drive and great gas mileage.
2016 Newmar Ventana
2016 Ford Edge

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone has their own set of priorities or requirements.
Little cars to easy and cheap on fuel.
I loved the Saturn we had.
My priorities now, include being able to put a boat or canoe on a rack and towing a trailer, if our antique hunting finds some things we want again. Plus rough country used or state, national forest and National Parks. A four wheel drive F50 or Chevy, Dodge or other, will fit the bill and a V8 will last a lot longer with fewer problems, imo.
Trucks are heavier and thus fuel consumption will be higher while towing and in use but can't seem to have both low fuel consumption and much higher capabilities.

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
If you read all of the major consumer magazines you will note the Fiat 500 rates either at the very bottom or close to the very bottom of all quality ratings. While the Ford isn't much better, its reliability is not as bad as the Fiat.

We towed a 2013 Ford C Max Hybrid for almost 4 years and 15,000 trouble free miles. When we sold the RV and car recently the C Max had almost 84,000 miles averaging over 40 mpg. It does not add miles to the odometer while towing.

The worst car we owned over the years was a Fiat, an absolute disaster.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Read some owner's forums and reviews on both. I'd pick the Ford over a Fiat anyday. I know you didn't mention this but have you driven a Chevy Sonic? They have a peppy turbo engine and can be driven 4-down.

A manual transmission wouldn't re-sell as easy. Most people nowadays prefer a more relaxing automatic.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
All other things being equal, then if one weighs less, I would go with that one. 200 or 300 lbs. would make a difference in towability, performance and MPG.
Jayco-noslide

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you will find more room for passengers and for storage in general in the Ford. I like to store a bike in the trunk when we travel. Also what car would you want as your daily driver?

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd take the Fiat over the Ford. It doesn't take a lot to fall back into driving a stick - it's like riding a bike. You'll be a bit rusty at first.
Also, each car has a personality in the terms of clutch engagement height and distance, etc.
A lot of new cars have the option for a hill-hold. The car holds the brakes for 2 seconds allowing you to move your foot from the brake to the gas.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

snellville-dave
Explorer
Explorer
if you get the Ford Focus, always be sure you follow instructions to get it ready to tow. this summer I talked to someone towing a Focus that got in a hurry and wrecked the transmission.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
He did not ask about Jeeps or CRV's.

๐Ÿ™‚
Currently RV-less but not done yet.