cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tornado Safety

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, it appears that several RVers were killed in Louisiana by a tornado while in their RV. What is a safe way to weather a storm?
I would think it would be obvious to shelter in a fixed structure in the campground. Otherwise wouldn't it be better to get in your tow vehicle or toad where you would be surrounded by steel? I would even consider idling the engine so the airbags were active. Thoughts?
Currently Between RVs
50 REPLIES 50

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
if you happen to be in the Dallas area just go to the cowboys stadium , the weather service is positively sure no touchdowns will occur there, I just keep an eye on the weather and leave the area if it gets bad

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
RV park after a tornado
Even with a storm shelter , not a bathhouse but a TRUE shelter, some people stayed in there RV. Not one person in the shelter was injured.
When I travel in tornado alley I call and try to find parks with shelters to stay in. Weather radio a must but you need to know what county you are in and the surrounding counties
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:

As suggested in a previous post intellicast, with its storm track projection feature is excellent. Had the eyes on that as the storms roared up the Mid Atlantic, where my rig is stored, 2 nights ago.

I should have added that the Storm Track feature also tells WHAT the probable risk is, for any given storm cell. Most will simply be strong thunderstorms (green), some will contain high wind gusts (blue), some might contain hail (yellow) - and some might show strong rotation denoting a possible tornado (red). Keep in mind that a full sweep of the radar takes about 4-1/2 minutes, so things can change quickly in that time.

The storm track also has lines that represent 20-minute increments. If I was downstream from a storm that had shown the potential for a tornado (and had no good sheltering options where I was), I'd probably go for a ride, perpendicular to the approaching path. Look for any place that has a public restroom: McDonald's, Starbucks, etc.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
At least most folks responded to my original post seriously discussing the safety issue as I intended. You other guys need to chill.
Currently Between RVs

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I don't believe life is not as much of a **** shoot as depicted above.

Utilizing safety precautions and today's technology (in this case early warning of impending sever weather) can and does save lives.

I myself chose to buckle up, drive the speed limit, run for shelter, etc. I, like many others, choose to be informed of impending danger so I may have an option to seek safety. Those who do increase their odds of survival.

What don't you believe? :h

The chart "you" posted is the same chart that I got the numbers from.
The fact is, about 60 people average die every year in the US from tornado's. Or to put it another way, a little over 1 person a week.In fact, statistics show that almost the same amount of people die from bee stings and tornado's in the US every year.

Now let compare that to being in a fatal auto accident. Around 30,000 (I edited my above post to correct a typo) people are killed every year in the US in auto accidents. Or about 650 to 700 a week in comparison. That's 500 times more likely, and that is a BUNCH!! This is important because we as RV'er are on the road a lot. It's what we do when we travel around this great country of ours.

Statistics take all the "feeling" out of what is correct and true. Case in point. I race very fast cars at very high speeds. A lot of people think that is foolish and very dangerous. Because they "think" going fast in a race car is dangerous. And it is..................unless you compare it to other things in life.............like driving to the race track. Statistics show that when I drive to the race track I'm way, way, way, way more likely to be killed than on the race track. In fact, the track I race at has never had a fatality (to my knowledge)in over 65 years of it's existence!

The ironic thing about that is, statistics show that it would be better to wear my helmet to and from the track rather than on the track!!

Ha Ha, it doesn't really matter to me how you choose to live. It is also OK for people to choose to take precautions and not be ridiculed for it.

I wear a seat belt when I drive, I have smoke detectors in my home, and I have weather apps to monitor the weather. I pray that none of them ever becomes neccessary some day BUT I will continue to try to be prepared in case I do.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think looking at number of people killed in car accidents versus tornadoes is the wrong way of seeing it.

The question should be "how are the odds different between two people in direct line of a tornado if one person sits in their RV to wait it out and the other person goes to recommended shelter"?

Out here in California, I don't really worry about tornadoes. But I do know what precautions to take in an earthquake. Not because I fear dying in an earthquake but because I don't want to die in an earthquake.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer

Utilizing safety precautions and today's technology (in this case early warning of impending sever weather) can and does save lives.

I myself chose to buckle up, drive the speed limit, run for shelter, etc. I, like many others, choose to be informed of impending danger so I may have an option to seek safety. Those who do increase their odds of survival.

What don't you believe? :h

The chart "you" posted is the same chart that I got the numbers from.
The fact is, about 60 people average die every year in the US from tornado's. Or to put it another way, a little over 1 person a week.In fact, statistics show that almost the same amount of people die from bee stings and tornado's in the US every year.

Now let compare that to being in a fatal auto accident. Around 30,000 (I edited my above post to correct a typo) people are killed every year in the US in auto accidents. Or about 650 to 700 a week in comparison. That's 500 times more likely, and that is a BUNCH!! This is important because we as RV'er are on the road a lot. It's what we do when we travel around this great country of ours.

Statistics take all the "feeling" out of what is correct and true. Case in point. I race very fast cars at very high speeds. A lot of people think that is foolish and very dangerous. Because they "think" going fast in a race car is dangerous. And it is..................unless you compare it to other things in life.............like driving to the race track. Statistics show that when I drive to the race track I'm way, way, way, way more likely to be killed than on the race track. In fact, the track I race at has never had a fatality (to my knowledge)in over 65 years of it's existence!

The ironic thing about that is, statistics show that it would be better to wear my helmet to and from the track rather than on the track!!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Seems like severe storms which can produce tornados frighten people who have no experience with them than those who have lived in areas prone to tornados.

Usually weather does not frighten me. Can't count how many hurricanes I have experienced, the worst being in 2004 when we got a direct hit by a very slow moving cat 4 that put hurricane force winds on us for over 24 hours. I have lots of respect for hurricanes & know how to best deal with them. Evacuation is not an option for me.

Never seen a tornado. Not the monsters you get in that very wide so called tornado alley. Seen plenty of waterspouts. Been victim of a hurricane produced tornado. Lost a boat in that one. Been victim of a winter storm microburst. Another boat damaged. I know about that stuff.

Being in an area of a tornado warning, even a severe storm warning has my undivided attention & the 'what if' wheels are turning inside my head.

If making a run for it, somebody suggested driving south. Sounds like a plan if there is plenty of time before everyone else has panicked & doing the same thing. Tornados seem to always do a track that takes them north around to the east. Driving northwest if in the path of the storm & there is time seems like an option too. Again, leaving it too late to take action is not really an option.

As suggested in a previous post intellicast, with its storm track projection feature is excellent. Had the eyes on that as the storms roared up the Mid Atlantic, where my rig is stored, 2 nights ago.

Thank you! I just installed the "Intellicast" app as well.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like severe storms which can produce tornados frighten people who have no experience with them than those who have lived in areas prone to tornados.

Usually weather does not frighten me. Can't count how many hurricanes I have experienced, the worst being in 2004 when we got a direct hit by a very slow moving cat 4 that put hurricane force winds on us for over 24 hours. I have lots of respect for hurricanes & know how to best deal with them. Evacuation is not an option for me.

Never seen a tornado. Not the monsters you get in that very wide so called tornado alley. Seen plenty of waterspouts. Been victim of a hurricane produced tornado. Lost a boat in that one. Been victim of a winter storm microburst. Another boat damaged. I know about that stuff.

Being in an area of a tornado warning, even a severe storm warning has my undivided attention & the 'what if' wheels are turning inside my head.

If making a run for it, somebody suggested driving south. Sounds like a plan if there is plenty of time before everyone else has panicked & doing the same thing. Tornados seem to always do a track that takes them north around to the east. Driving northwest if in the path of the storm & there is time seems like an option too. Again, leaving it too late to take action is not really an option.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

deweysmith5
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice here. Flying debris is the most dangerous part of a tornado unless you enjoy flying around in your RV or tow vehicle. Walls collapsing on you is not fun either. After seeing a 2 x 4 embedded in a tree did I fully understand the power behind one of these things. I have also seen wire fences twisted into cable and whole sections of a forest torn into toothpicks. We take watches and warnings seriously. We have learned how to read the book on a radar. And we have learned to respect the potential of a microburst after having 120mph winds destroy our town a year after we had the pleasure of a tornado. Yes the chances are slim but are real and the damage caused by a tornado is severe enough to warrant respect. Indiana is not named Hoosier tornado alley for no reason.
2016 Cougar xlite 27rks
2015 Duramax Z71 Silverado
The Wife, The Lab, and sometimes a grandkid or two

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Ok, it's always good use protection when you can but lets get back to reality.

The fact of the matter is the chance you have a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better chance of winning the state lotto for the big one than getting killed by a tornado. It sure makes great news for the TV stations but lets go over some facts.

Perhaps when you look at the entire country - but right now, when the snowbirds and vacationers have gathered in warm places; and the peak tornado season is Feb/Mar/April, I suspect the risk is much higher.

As it is, people ignore watches and warnings. Minimizing the danger that tornadoes present, is not helping.

I took a Skywarn class in Brevard County, FL. I was astounded at how many deaths there were from Florida tornadoes, especially in El Nino years. The reason? So many people live in trailers and RVs; and they have no basements to take shelter in. People without shelter, need to take a weather threat seriously.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

The fact of the matter is the chance you have a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better chance of winning the state lotto for the big one than getting killed by a tornado. It sure makes great news for the TV stations but lets go over some facts.

Tornado map

Average number of people killed in the US every year from tornado's?
About 60

Average number of people killed in the US every year from falling out of bed? About 450.

In fact, you have over 7 time of a chance of being killed while sleeping in your bed than being killed by a tornado!! 7 times!!!!

About a 100 people are killed every DAY driving on the highways of the US. Well over 300,000 a year!!! And we are driving RV's are on the highway most days. And yet some are worried about tornado's. :R

You have a 5000 times more of a chance of getting killed on the highway of the US driving than being killed by a tornado. And yet some are worried about tornado's. :R

My point is, if you're going to worry about things like this, and you want to live a long time your better start worrying about:
#1 Heart disease. (eat correct)
#2. Cancer (Hmmm?)
#3. Respiratory disease. (Don't smoke)
#4. Accidents (Stay off the roads)
#5. Stroke (eat correct and go on vacation!!!)

There are two sides to every coin - Turtle n Peeps and statistics can be used to support almost any argument.

Many people who were sheltered, lost their rigs but not their lives.

There are statistics that show that early warning systems of tornadoes have reduce fatality rates as well.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
PackerBacker wrote:
We're currently in Myrtle Beach Travel Park and have warnings all day. We have what we call the winter hall that is used as a shelter when needed. As well the washrooms/bathhouses within the campground are another place for folks to go if they get an alert.

Do you mean that there have been "WATCHES" all day? In my are they only issue a warning if tornado is imminate.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer

Tornado map

Average number of people killed in the US every year from tornado's?
About 60

Average number of people killed in the US every year from falling out of bed? About 450.

In fact, you have over 7 time of a chance of being killed while sleeping in your bed than being killed by a tornado!! 7 times!!!!

About a 100 people are killed every DAY driving on the highways of the US. Well over 30,000 a year!!! And we are driving RV's are on the highway most days. And yet some are worried about tornado's. :R

You have a 500 times more of a chance of getting killed on the highway of the US driving than being killed by a tornado. And yet some are worried about tornado's. :R

My point is, if you're going to worry about things like this, and you want to live a long time your better start worrying about:
#1 Heart disease. (eat correct)
#2. Cancer (Hmmm?)
#3. Respiratory disease. (Don't smoke)
#4. Accidents (Stay off the roads)
#5. Stroke (eat correct and go on vacation!!!)

(Edited for typo)
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
DougE wrote:
In response to my original post everybody is pushing alternatives (all better) than riding out a storm in your RV or vehicle, but the original premise was which would you do if that were your only choice. RV or tow vehicle (or toad)? And why?

Absolutely NOT the RV - it will provide slightly more protection from thrown debris, than a tent. A car/truck only offers protection if you get it out of harm's way.

There is a website called Intellicast.com, that has interactive radar. You can ask it to show the "Storm Tracks" - and if you are in the path of an oncoming rotating storm, you might be able to get far enough away from the debris field. In most usual cases, if you are in the line of a storm, driving south might help? But you need to be ahead of the curve - if you don't have 15+ minutes lead time, then head for the restrooms.

Normally, in seeking shelter, you want as many walls with minimal glass as possible between you and the outside. The debris field, where the tornado is throwing dangerous objects, is MUCH larger than the tornado itself. While trying to outrun a tornado is NOT a good idea, if it's a large tornado, you will not survive unless you are underground; and when we're camping, that's almost impossible to do. So getting out of the way is the second-best choice.

The last thing I want to emphasize: nowadays, tornadoes are usually warned more than a day ahead of time. Granted, a funnel can appear in the blink of an eye, but weather forecasting usually will give a wide-area alert that severe weather/tornadoes are a possibility. And when the Weather Service uses the words "severe weather", they don't mean simply loud thunder and heavy rain. Severe weather can do as much damage as a small tornado.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs