cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Jeep YJ Four Down

TDHEX
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick question. I am going to tow a 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ behind my class C Motor home and was trying to get a clarification on the proper way to do this. I will read one post that says you should put the transfer case in neutral and the manual transmission in neutral, and then I read the next post that says put the transmission in gear. Which is the proper configuration?? Thanks in advance for your answers.
10 REPLIES 10

Paul_V1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 97 TJ with a manual transmission that I flat tow. Transfercase in neutral, transmission in 2nd gear and key turned 1 click forward to keep the steering wheel from locking. I have towed it this way for many thosands of miles with no problems.
2001 GMC Crewcab Duramax 2500HD 4x4
2006 Outfitter Apex 9.5
1997 Jeep Wrangler

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:

So, it's spinning and pumping "ATF" (that's the lube that's in those transfer cases) no matter if it's being driven or, being towed.
Scott

Be certain you know which transfer case you have, some do not take ATF.

You are absolutely correct Sir. The older ones that were cast iron gear drive units like the Model 18, 20 and, the 300 use either gear oil (either 80-90W or, 85-140W) at the very least, 30WT engine oil.

But, the later ones, the Aluminum, Chain drive ones, pretty much use ATF as to many, many later model stick transmissions.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

So, it's spinning and pumping "ATF" (that's the lube that's in those transfer cases) no matter if it's being driven or, being towed.
Scott

Be certain you know which transfer case you have, some do not take ATF.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
TDHEX wrote:
Just a quick question. I am going to tow a 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ behind my class C Motor home and was trying to get a clarification on the proper way to do this. I will read one post that says you should put the transfer case in neutral and the manual transmission in neutral, and then I read the next post that says put the transmission in gear. Which is the proper configuration?? Thanks in advance for your answers.

TDHEX,
The "Proper" way is, for the transfer case in NEUTRAL and, the standard transmission, in 2ND gear. The main and primary reason is, simply due to the spinning of certain bearings and shafts, even in neutral, friction in some of those parts "want" to turn the out put shaft in the transmission. And if that happens, there is a possibility of turning shafts/bearings in the transmission that ARE NOT LUBED.

You see, when the Jeep is being driven, you are turning the INPUT shaft into the transmission and, therefore, you are turning other shafts and bearings that will splash oil up and onto the rest of the shafts and bearings. But, when towing it, you are no longer turning the transmission input shaft and therefore, are not turning important components that help lubricate other parts.

So, this is why they'd like you to put the transmission into 2nd gear. It simply STOPS any spinning of any of those shafts and bearings from spinning, without any lube. We've towed 8 different Jeeps and, three of them have been stick trannies. They always were put into second gear when towing and never had any damage to any transmission parts.

Just for your info, the reason you can put your transfer case in neutral for towing is, unlike the transmission, the model 231 Aluminum, Chain driven transfer case you have has its own oil pump in it. And, it's located just inside the rear tail cone. It's about the size of a DVD and, about the thickness of about 10 of them.

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
On a manual transmission it really doesn't matter. you will have two gear boxes in neutral, big deal.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
4WD in neutral. Transmission in 2nd gear. You may or may not have to use key in ignition

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while since I've towed mine 4 down (don't have my '95 any longer and haven't flat towed my '98) but yeah, it's detailed very well in the owner's manual.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Read your owner's manual to get the proper information.

follow the directions. you must be kidding. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Read your owner's manual to get the proper information.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Transmission should be in a forward gear. Some vehicle owner's manual indicate second gear. This is to prevent output gears from turning with out lubrication from input shaft.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker