cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing the Toy Hauler with a full fresh water tank?

dpkimmel2001
Explorer
Explorer
My Raptor Toy Hauler has a 110 gallon fresh water tank. We do a lot of dry camping and normally fill up the tank on arrival. It takes a while to fill that tank up. We are heading to Assateague this week and will be staying about an hour away before we check in on Friday. I could easily fill the tank where we are staying the night before our arrival. I have no problem hauling the extra weight. I am just concerned how well a full fresh water tank will haul. Should I be concerned about the structural integrity when hauling that weight in that tank? Bottom line..... Should I be concerned about this tank dropping out of the bottom of my unit while driving down the road? Calm my fears.

Thanks for any reply.
2013 Raptor 300MP
2008 GMC 2500 6.6 DMax SuperCrew
23 REPLIES 23

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I always travel with a full FW tank. Never know if a CG might have a boil water notice, or if the water is just plain noxious. Filters help, but only do so much.

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I only bring MY water from home I know what it is!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I would be very unhappy if any trailer I owned wasn't capable of carrying the weight of full tanks.

My Weekend Warrior holds 100 gallons of fresh water and I always leave home with the tanks full.

You won't find any baffles in the tanks. A full tank won't have room to slosh, a partial tank will. I have never felt any movement due to sloshing when I did travel with a partial tank. Does your tow vehicle roll back and forth when the fuel tank is half full?

Jim-Linda wrote:
FWIW, '98 HH Champagne, 90 gal tank, been traveling with full tank for 16 years, water still in tank, tank still under trailer....

Maybe it is time for some fresh water after 16 years? :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just have to believe these things were designed to be hauled with full water tanks and partially or fully filled holding tanks.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

tanman32225
Explorer
Explorer
A question in point. Do the storage tanks have baffles in them to slow the sloshing back and forth. Excessive sloshing I suppose could be felt or actually rupture a bladder tank. Does anyone know?? Fresh, Gray, Black water??

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, '98 HH Champagne, 90 gal tank, been traveling with full tank for 16 years, water still in tank, tank still under trailer. Not to worry

Jim

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
Nearly always boondock and nearly always travel with my 100Gal fresh water. Been doing that for years with no known issues.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you just have to trust the integrity of the design by the RV manufacturer. I have a 90 gallon tank and have traveled it full on occasions without any problems as do most I would think.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I just came back with all tanks full, about 120 gal. The ride was terrific. Never smoother but I ? the weight on the structure and had no problems. Tires were good,I feel I had plenty of reserve and I had been "camping" in a friends driveway and did not want to dump all that sewrage into his septic tank all at once so it took it home to dump in a muni system. I'd say go for it.