cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer brakes

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Cougar TT 31RKS that is 35' long and comes in at about 8500lbs loaded. I tow with a '11 GMC Sierra 2500HD. The trailer is 4 years old and I have never been able to get the GMC factory brake control to lock the brakes at low speed like they say it should in the setup instructions. I have the boost set at the full 10.

I don't feel like I am lacking in brakes. I have never felt like I couldn't stop in time. In a panic situation the trailer brakes have locked.

I've had two very reputable shops service the brakes over the last couple years and they say everything is good. Should I just get over the fact that I can't manually lock the brakes like I've been able to on every other trailer I've owned?
20 REPLIES 20

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
How do you adjust the brakes? Even if you have the so called self adjusting brakes, whixh by the way only self adjust when backing you need to start with properly adjusted brakes.

Dexter Never Adjust Brakes adjust only when going forward.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
How do you adjust the brakes? Even if you have the so called self adjusting brakes, whixh by the way only self adjust when backing you need to start with properly adjusted brakes.

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
check all of your wire connections, I struggle with mine for two years and found a loose connection after replacing all four brake assemblies, they lock up now with the brake (P2) controller set on 8,
Good Luck
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It may be the undersized wires commonly used on trailers to save a dime.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I can not lock up the brakes on My current TT (which is the smallest
and lightest TT I have owned) either, when I use the manual slider.

I could lock up on all my other TTs. However this TT is the first one I have
had with "self-adjusting" brakes - not sure if this play a factor.

However - on the road I have plenty of stopping power, so never gave it a 2nd thought.
Gerry

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Per Dexter, Alko or Lippert who make the brakes they state in the owners manual that the brakes will not lock up on every trailer. Likely has to do with the size of the brakes and weight of the trailer, wire gauge to the brakes and probably some other things like adjustments. If you can feel the trailer brakes working when you pull the manual release and have good braking you are likely fine.

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller