cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer or 5th wheel?

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a really nice Viewfinder Signature 28BHOB that we bought new last year. We like it but the rear bunk sleeping area isn't the best arrangement for our needs. I have a buyer for it so I thought we should think about a 5th wheel with a bunk room rather than going for a longer TT. We went to a big RV show today to look and all the 5th wheels with bunks are over 35' and really high. I'm not afraid to tow a bigger rig since I have a 2500HD Duramax. I am however worried that a big 5th wheel won't be allowed in a lot of state parks that we like to camp at. These rigs are so high they may not clear a lot of the trees or fit in the spaces in state parks. The thought of having to park in RV parking lots (KOA, RV parks, etc) just isn't appealing to me.
To stay with a trailer with a bunk room would mean a TT that is probably 35' long. For the same length trailer, the 5th wheel would actually be shorter when hooked up to my TV. Anyway, I'm confused now. Has anyone stepped up to a big 5th wheel and regretted it later because of the limited places you could go because of size?
23 REPLIES 23

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Given that you live out west I'd keep the size reasonable so you don't eliminate all of the public land primitive camping that's available. Maybe 35-36' max. Also larger tank sizes can be helpful for that type of camping, and an on-board genny while not necessary can be pretty handy.

But it's all how you use it. If you'll only be using full hookup sites those aren't issues you need to worry about.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a couple TT. No problem with height. Moving to a Fiver it was something that had to be taken into consideration. There was one state park we had to leave because they didn't care about low hanging branches and we couldn't get to our site ( large branch) no other sites available.

But, I was getting tired of state parks. We now camp at resorts mostly ( our preference today). Went from a fiver to a 42' MH. Never a issue finding a site or tree clearance.

You will come across height issues in a fiver.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've noticed having a tougher time finding big enough sites going from a popup to a 33ft TT.

One other thing to think about for me was losing the ability to carry things in the back of the truck. We routinely carry 4 bikes, and/or 4 kayaks on a rack in the truck. You lose that with a 5er.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
IBcarguy wrote:
Lantley - thank you for your response. That is the kind of meaningful, well thought out input I've been looking for. I'm an older guy and I have to admit that I like the larger, nicer, more comfortable layout of the 5th wheels. After a day or two of thinking about it, I think I'll go for the larger 5th wheel. The kids will grow out of the camping thing soon, but I think I'll always enjoy the comfort and extra space of a larger 5th wheel. We'll just have to plan our trips more carefully and select locations that will accommodate our size.
Thanks again...

Exactly.
Yes it impacted my destinations. But that doesn't mean I'm not having a great time at the new destinations. For everyone I miss, I find an alternative that accommodates my bigger nicer rig.
In the big picture of things nothing has really changed. I'm still getting out and having a great time. No regrets
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley - thank you for your response. That is the kind of meaningful, well thought out input I've been looking for. I'm an older guy and I have to admit that I like the larger, nicer, more comfortable layout of the 5th wheels. After a day or two of thinking about it, I think I'll go for the larger 5th wheel. The kids will grow out of the camping thing soon, but I think I'll always enjoy the comfort and extra space of a larger 5th wheel. We'll just have to plan our trips more carefully and select locations that will accommodate our size.
Thanks again...

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Like mentioned in my earlier post, you will deal with height issues, maybe more than me, if you camp in Ca state parks. We all know you can't trim a tree in Ca. JKG

As for regrets moving from TT, I've had several TTs, several FWs, and no regrets sticking with FW. There are just more advantages, that far out weight any downside. JMHO

Jerry

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
IBcarguy wrote:
I don't know how this post got pushed into a discussion about my truck. I am well aware of the capabilities and limitations of my GMC. This is not what I was asking. All I wanted to know was if there are many out there that are unhappy with their decision to get a larger, higher 5th wheel. I am worried that I wouldn't be able to take it to many of the state parks up in the mountains because of the size.

Only you know your camping style but when I went from a TT to a fiver I did change my destinations. Some of it had to do with size/height but most had to do with seeking 50 amp service.
My prior rig was also fairly long so nothing changed there but I now had to deal with height which limited my choices a bit more. Generally I can always find a site nevertheless there will always be less selection with bigger/taller rigs. Some sites that I was able to squeeze my rather long 3 slide TT into could not accommodate my taller 5 slide 5'er. Height is not so much a factor at the actual site but it can be more of a factor maneuvering through the CG.
As you know it is a compromise, what you lose in terms of being able to squeeze into a spot you gain in interior space.
Pick your poison do you want a smaller more nimble TT, where everyone is cramped and the bunks are too small.But it will fit in more places. Or do you want ample room for everyone for years to come.If your kids are still young/growing your going to need more room.
Think long term otherwise you will continue in the endless upgrade cycle. If your kids are still young/growing your going to need more room.
To answer your question going 5'er did impact my camping destinations, somewhat but I have zero regrets. More accurately, growing kids impacted my RV of choice,which impacted my camping destinations.
I still do state parks but my site selection is more limited and I seek 50 amps when available...A bit off topic but 50 amps is a lot nicer than 30 if you have a larger rig.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how this post got pushed into a discussion about my truck. I am well aware of the capabilities and limitations of my GMC. This is not what I was asking. All I wanted to know was if there are many out there that are unhappy with their decision to get a larger, higher 5th wheel. I am worried that I wouldn't be able to take it to many of the state parks up in the mountains because of the size.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm only at 32' but haven't had any significant issues. I think you'd really appreciate the way a fifth wheel tows compared to a TT, and you can figure on being about 4' shorter overall compared to the same length TT.

Don't let some of the weight police comments about your truck derail you - stay within your axle and tire ratings and you'll be good to go. If you do find more sag than you like you could easily fix it with bags or timbrens. There's obviously a point where the trailer size will dictate a DRW, but there are lots of bunkhouse style fifth wheels available that are well within your wheelhouse.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Height is generally not a problem. Most parks understand the height of 5ers and keep the trees trimmed accordingly.

I disagree with this statement. ..........

It may be regional, but in my experience, the state parks are reluctant to trim trees, even by some dump stations. .......
Jerry

Must be a regional thing. The state, city, and COE parks we have been to in TX, OK, and AR have not been a problem even for our 5er at over 13'.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
How old/big will the people in the bunks be? Not all bunks are equal and this may impact your decision.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I am not normally a negative person, but dragging a forty foot mobile home is not my idea of "camping". J believe that sometimes "Less is more". I am not advocating a tiny tear drop trailer for a trailer of six, but...... Just asking.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
BB_TX wrote:
Height is generally not a problem. Most parks understand the height of 5ers and keep the trees trimmed accordingly.

I disagree with this statement. Even a mid height FW, like mine, has clearance issues in areas of the state parks I visit. Mine is only 12' 4"s tall. Although I can find a site, I often have to pass on the preferred sites of some loops, due to not wanting to drag the limbs over my roof.

It may be regional, but in my experience, the state parks are reluctant to trim trees, even by some dump stations. The rangers just agree with you, saying "the canopy could use a little trim, but we like to keep it natural".

I do see other FWs sliding the branches over the roof, to get to the good sites, keeps the roof repair folks in business.

Jerry

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 24ft TT and camp almost exclusively in State Parks.
I don't remember seeing any 5th wheels in any of the State Parks I visited this summer in NJ, PA, MA and VA. All of these SPs were somewhat tight even for my setup. DE does have open SP campgrounds but that is an exception.

I think a 5th will restrict you to commercial campgrounds and limited SPs.
Gerry