cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transporting Motor for PortaBote

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning. Hubby got on the other day looking at suggestions for transporting our PortaBote but didn't want to attach to TT side. We actually got it into the TT this weekend with no problems whatsoever so it will sit inside during travel. The question now is how to we transport the motor. Hubby read someone said to put it in a garbage can or tall enough bin so it would stay upright and put in bathroom so it wouldn't be able to move around. If there are no other suggestions we may have to do this as we are leaving Saturday. The engine will not fit upright in a can in the back of our truck because we have a truck cap on. Thanks for any other suggestions.

Shari
Keith and Shari
2014 Keystone Summerland 2670BH
32 REPLIES 32

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
CarpFishermanAndWife wrote:
And you transport your motor w/out any fluids? Sorry if this is a dumb question - this is Wife asking - LOL.

Shari

Not exactly. My motor does not have a built in fuel tank, I use a 3 gallon tank with a hose/siphon bulb attached. When I am through with the bote, I remove the fuel hose and let the motor run till it runs out of gas. That empties the carb. I don't remove the oil in the lower section or the crankcase. Mine is a 6hp 4 stroke Nissan that says it is OK to lay on its side, as long as you put it on the correct side. I have carried it this way for about 4 years with no problems or leaks. Here is a JPG of the section in the owner's manual:

Thank you!
Keith and Shari

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
(Ooops - edited duplicate)
Keith and Shari

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

It is a Nissan 3.5 HP, 4-stroke. Thanks!

Shari

Just looked at Nissan's manuals page - there's a bunch of models answering to that description. Link

Looked at one, though, and it does say keep vertical- but it ALSO gives directives as to proper "horizontal" positions-?

Thank you!
Keith and Shari

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
And you transport your motor w/out any fluids? Sorry if this is a dumb question - this is Wife asking - LOL.

Shari

Not exactly. My motor does not have a built in fuel tank, I use a 3 gallon tank with a hose/siphon bulb attached. When I am through with the bote, I remove the fuel hose and let the motor run till it runs out of gas. That empties the carb. I don't remove the oil in the lower section or the crankcase. Mine is a 6hp 4 stroke Nissan that says it is OK to lay on its side, as long as you put it on the correct side. I have carried it this way for about 4 years with no problems or leaks. Here is a JPG of the section in the owner's manual:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer

Shari

Just looked at Nissan's manuals page - there's a bunch of models answering to that description. Link

Looked at one, though, and it does say keep vertical- but it ALSO gives directives as to proper "horizontal" positions-?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
back near the front of the TT, we welded an arch between the two sides of the tongue and hung our Port-A-Bote's motor in the same way it hangs on the back of the boat

Jim

Do you have a pic Jim?

Shari
Keith and Shari

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
back near the front of the TT, we welded an arch between the two sides of the tongue and hung our Port-A-Bote's motor in the same way it hangs on the back of the boat

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Give us more info on the motor ie brand, 2 or 4-stroke. My 15 horse 4-stroke rode flat just fine.

Shari
Keith and Shari

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Give us more info on the motor ie brand, 2 or 4-stroke. My 15 horse 4-stroke rode flat just fine.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
The motor is a 3.5 HP & says do not lay flat but some of you are saying you lay it down, but just not flat, correct?
Keith and Shari

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Putting a portabote and a motor inside the Travel Trailer is quite a task. But what will you do if it is pouring rain when you get to the campsite? Will you be able to use your travel trailer or bathroom with the boat and motor in there? If you can't get your bote set up immediately and in the water, where will you put it? How will you secure it when you are not at the campsite?

Mounting it on the side or underneath the TT (and being able to lock it in place)is really not that hard to do. And it is out of the way if you don't want to be moving it as soon as you get to the campsite.

As for where to put the motor: Consider the over the A-frame Trailer Tray (or even some crafty homemade versions that are posted as bike carriers on this forum.)

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Our 12' portabote goes inside our 5er like you have done and our 6hp Mercury lies on the carpet under the dining table. If you want you could lay it on a towel. Since 2003 we've done it this way without a leak or any other problem. There is a instruction sticker on the side of the motor that tells you to lay it "This side down." Good luck!
E.Lee Galik

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
an outfit that used to be in Montana IIRC and advertised in trailer life, etc., sold car/truck top loaders and they also sold a motor mount that mounted in the rear corner of the pick up bed, would slide out to mount motor on it, then pivot horizontally and slide into truck bed, under your cover.
if you lay down your motor be sure to keep the head/cylinders higher than the lower unit so that water does not run into head ruining it. I carried my outboard with the head lying on some boat cushions to keep it draining. how big is the motor, could you lay it down in a large tub in the bath tub?
bumpy

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I put my PortaBote on top of my toad using a surf board mount. The seats and transom are in duffle bags on the back seat. The motor is laying on its side in the very back of the toad on top of a black garbage bag in case something leaks. The motor tells which side should point up.

Shari
Keith and Shari

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you find your so called permanent spot inside the trailer to carry the motor you might look into some of these recessed floor mounted rings to use with ratchet type straps to stabilize your motor perhaps.

I have used these recessed floor mounts for strapping down our easy chairs when in transport more - works great and fold in completely flat when not in use. Not a trip hazard... My sisters bunch uses the same idea for strapping down bicycles being stored inside the trailer during transport mode.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS