Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling to Canada with air brakes

Bobthompson9999
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning,
I've a diesel pusher (itasca Soleig 34t) with air brakes. In Texas I don't need a special drivers license to drive because I'm less than 26000 gvwr. Canada requires its citizens to take courses and pass a test to drive this equipment there. Will I have any problems crossing the border and driving my coach there?

Regards and thanks Bob.
12 REPLIES 12

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
We had no problem...never even asked for our driver's license, just the Passport.

Yep, I should have specified that a driver's license would only be used if it's an enhanced license that's the equivalent of a passport for surface crossings.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bobthompson9999
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your quick responses. I couldn't fathom there would be a problem crossing into Canada and I appreciate your comments.
Regards Bob

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
Think of the THOUSANDS of air brake equipped MH's that cross into Canada every year. I doubt if more than a few per cent of the drivers have air brake endorsement. Have you EVER heard of someone getting a ticket, or worse, for that? Not me.

If that is true, there would be LOTS of postings about it. This is the first I have ever heard, and you are just asking.

That's my guess as well. Canadian police probably have a good idea of the different provincial requirements but I can't imagine them bothering to check or even be interested in every state's
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:
moresmoke wrote:
You will be fine. From a previous discussion with a nice commercial enforcement officer in Ontario (probably the strictest commercial enforcement in North America). "I can't touch an RV" said the officer.

HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:
There are two issues. First the qualification of the operator and second the condition of the air brake system.Was the non law enforcement officer perhaps referring to adjudicating the functionality of the air braking system as distinct from the qualifications of the operator? I don't think I would like to be in the position of not having the air brake endorsement on my license when driving an air brake equipped vehicle and the license being requested for examination by a police officer. I do NOT know if the air brake endorsement requirement in Canada is subject to reciprocity as relates to the laws of the licensing state in this case.
No endorsement in Canada is an automatic large problem which may or may not be mitigated by reciprocity. I think you would be wise to determine whether or not reciprocity applies. If I were to guess, I would expect that reciprocity does not exist.

Why post, like you said, you are guessing, so you are just flapping your lips.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Think of the THOUSANDS of air brake equipped MH's that cross into Canada every year. I doubt if more than a few per cent of the drivers have air brake endorsement. Have you EVER heard of someone getting a ticket, or worse, for that? Not me.

If that is true, there would be LOTS of postings about it. This is the first I have ever heard, and you are just asking.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The bottom line is that no one checks your driver's license when crossing into Canada from the US other than for identification purposes.

Exactly...Crossed into Canada many times with air brake motorhomes and never been asked for anything except a passport.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We had no problem...never even asked for our driver's license, just the Passport.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bottom line is that no one checks your driver's license when crossing into Canada from the US other than for identification purposes.
Dutch

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a CDL, air brake is a restriction not an endorsement. It was an endorsement years ago.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
moresmoke wrote:
You will be fine. From a previous discussion with a nice commercial enforcement officer in Ontario (probably the strictest commercial enforcement in North America). "I can't touch an RV" said the officer.

HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:
There are two issues. First the qualification of the operator and second the condition of the air brake system.Was the non law enforcement officer perhaps referring to adjudicating the functionality of the air braking system as distinct from the qualifications of the operator? I don't think I would like to be in the position of not having the air brake endorsement on my license when driving an air brake equipped vehicle and the license being requested for examination by a police officer. I do NOT know if the air brake endorsement requirement in Canada is subject to reciprocity as relates to the laws of the licensing state in this case.
No endorsement in Canada is an automatic large problem which may or may not be mitigated by reciprocity. I think you would be wise to determine whether or not reciprocity applies. If I were to guess, I would expect that reciprocity does not exist.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
No problem... You're not a Canadian citizen. Canada and the US have full driver's license reciprocity, just as the US states do with each other. Even CDL's are recognized on both sides of the border.
Dutch