cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck configuration vs door tag

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
I know this issue comes often and gets debated heavily but I don't think this issue has been discussed from this point of view before.

This is in regard to the small difference between a 3/4 ton vs 1 ton SRW truck that in many cases is nothing more than 1 extra leaf in the rear springs on the one ton to increase Payload capacity. All other components on the two trucks are equal and the same. But if a RV'er adds air bags or the extra leaf to the rear springs on a 3/4 ton there are those who vehemently argue that that doesn't give the 3/4 ton the same payload capacity as a one ton version of the same truck. I understand that the door pillar sticker doesn't change when this is done but IMHO the load capability of the 3/4 truck is now the same as the 1 ton truck as long as the axle ratings and the tire ratings are not exceeded. In my example the axle ratings and the tire ratings are the same on both trucks which is quite common. Just the payload spec is different.

Ok, so the argument is the truck capability didn't change because the door specs didn't change.

Now lets consider this change. Lets say a truck originally came with Load Range E tires and the door sticker so referenced that in its weight ratings. But the owner replaces the Load Range E tires with Load Range D tires. Now if one follows the above logic the truck capability didn't change because the door sticker didn't change. I don't buy into that at all. The trucks load capability has been reduced but the sticker didn't change.

So it seems to me that using the argument that since the door sticker didn't change when an owner makes significant changes to the truck when going up in weight capability doesn't hold water when the owner makes changes going down in weight capability. To me the argument is pure argumentive rather than based on facts.
21 REPLIES 21

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Talk about beating a dead horse. You will never get people to agree on this issue. Some will believe that the 250/350 SRW is no difference and they can add air bags and be good to pull that 40' Teton. Then there are those that believe the manufacturers rating stickers and the manufacturers engineers.

Personally, I use a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger with E rated tires, HD shocks, a 25K 5er hitch, and air bags. It does just fine pulling my 40' King of the Road.

Ken

Do you suppose that Ford Marketing might have an input in those ratings? I don't have an argument about thinking one can pull a huge heavy weight trailer with a F250 or F350 SRW. That is not what I am referring to. I'm only suggesting that only the payload capacity changes between a F250 and a F350 SRW and that comes from a small change in the rear springs. As far as I know in many cases they have the same engine, same transmission, same drive shaft, same differential, same rear axle, same brakes, same rims and same tires. The only difference is the rear springs and the risers. Which gives the 350 more Payload capacity.

Now if someone can provide significant changes in part numbers other than what I have mentioned I would appreciate it. My experience is with the 2003 F250 4x4 Lariat 7.3L Diesel vs a F350 SWR configured equivalently. I am not up to date on changes between later year models.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Talk about beating a dead horse. You will never get people to agree on this issue. Some will believe that the 250/350 SRW is no difference and they can add air bags and be good to pull that 40' Teton. Then there are those that believe the manufacturers rating stickers and the manufacturers engineers.

Personally, I use a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger with E rated tires, HD shocks, a 25K 5er hitch, and air bags. It does just fine pulling my 40' King of the Road.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
This is in regard to the small difference between a 3/4 ton vs 1 ton SRW truck that in many cases is nothing more than 1 extra leaf in the rear springs on the one ton to increase Payload capacity.

If there is really no difference except a spring then why the greater numbpers on the sticker from the factory for the one ton in deference to the three quarter ton? Why don't you ask the factory what the difference is if you really care? Otherwise you are just revisiting the same old discussion. Get a list of the part numbers that are different between tbe 350 and the 250 and you might be surprised that is is more than just another spring in back.

I would be very happy to see the list of the difference in part numbers. Please provide.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is in regard to the small difference between a 3/4 ton vs 1 ton SRW truck that in many cases is nothing more than 1 extra leaf in the rear springs on the one ton to increase Payload capacity.

If there is really no difference except a spring then why the greater numbpers on the sticker from the factory for the one ton in deference to the three quarter ton? Why don't you ask the factory what the difference is if you really care? Otherwise you are just revisiting the same old discussion. Get a list of the part numbers that are different between tbe 350 and the 250 and you might be surprised that is is more than just another spring in back.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrVan wrote:
I know this issue comes often and gets debated heavily but I don't think this issue has been discussed from this point of view before.

This is in regard to the small difference between a 3/4 ton vs 1 ton SRW truck that in many cases is nothing more than 1 extra leaf in the rear springs on the one ton to increase Payload capacity. All other components on the two trucks are equal and the same. But if a RV'er adds air bags or the extra leaf to the rear springs on a 3/4 ton there are those who vehemently argue that that doesn't give the 3/4 ton the same payload capacity as a one ton version of the same truck. I understand that the door pillar sticker doesn't change when this is done but IMHO the load capability of the 3/4 truck is now the same as the 1 ton truck as long as the axle ratings and the tire ratings are not exceeded. In my example the axle ratings and the tire ratings are the same on both trucks which is quite common. Just the payload spec is different.

Ok, so the argument is the truck capability didn't change because the door specs didn't change.

Now lets consider this change. Lets say a truck originally came with Load Range E tires and the door sticker so referenced that in its weight ratings. But the owner replaces the Load Range E tires with Load Range D tires. Now if one follows the above logic the truck capability didn't change because the door sticker didn't change. I don't buy into that at all. The trucks load capability has been reduced but the sticker didn't change.

So it seems to me that using the argument that since the door sticker didn't change when an owner makes significant changes to the truck when going up in weight capability doesn't hold water when the owner makes changes going down in weight capability. To me the argument is pure argumentive rather than based on facts.

A lot of "arm chair quarterbacks" on forums like this one who make GUESSES as to the manufacturers specs really are.

While a lot of them "think" there is no "differences" between say a F250 and F350 other than springs they are dead wrong.

I can tell you this from owning F250s since 1997 that when buying replacement parts for suspension I have as of yet found any said parts which are universal between F250 and F350..

Anytime I buy brake parts, ball joints and such I ALWAYS HAVE TO GIVE the vehicle model, date of manufacture and at the dealer the VIN NUMBER.

There are often very subtle differences between a lot of the suspension and steering components which make interchangeability between F250 and F350 rather difficult.

The manufacturers ratings specifications are only "valid" if you use SAME OR GREATER RATED components. In other words going from E tire to a D tire means the rating is no longer valid and you MUST "derate" your capacity even though the manufacturer plate rates it higher WITH THE PROPER TIRES (in this case D tires are NOT "proper", or ANY tire NOT LISTED ON THE DOOR PLATE).

Same is true if you put say F450 suspension, axles, steering and tires to match on a F250.. While you beefed up those parts the door sticker is what the manufacturer rated it at and that is the number that counts. You can not change that number unless you wish to go through the hassle of retitling your vehicle as a specially manufactured vehicle and YOU would be responsible to provide all the specs..

There are a lot of folks who think the manufacturers numbers means squat and will load and haul anything they like..

Not my cup of "tea".

I buy a vehicle of enough capacity to suit my needs instead of buying a "lesser" vehicle then attempting to upgrade the lesser vehicle to do the job of the greater vehicle.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a 3/4 ton with the camper package and the trailer towing package. I got a 1 ton suspension system and 1 ton brakes (larger pads and caliper than 3/4 ton). My door sticker didn't change. What am I supposed to do? File a complaint, report it to the DOT, sue the manufacturer?
HR

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
yeah, the difference in the 250/350 is really just the sticker and what you pay for registration due to the GVWR in most states if that's how things are registered...

What if I put some 8 lug full float axles on my F150? Or put E rated tires on it? Or??? ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, I know the frame and suspension of an F150 is nothing compared to a SuperDuty... But, just going with what you are saying.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

In WA state, the sticker weights don't mean diddly squat in terms of being "legal" or not... I could register my F150 for 10,000, 12,000 + and be completely legal.. As far as DOT is concerned anyway.. Right now, I had to pay for #8000 GVW for my #7700 GVWR F150... My old 97 F150, I only had to register for #6000 GVW for a #6250 GVWR on the truck.. I was good to go up to #8000 as far as DOT was concerned.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, you can do whatever you want to your truck to help it out and tow whatever you want and if it works for you, great...

On this site however, you'll just get the comments that you are a disaster waiting to happen and you're going to kill some innocent family and blah, blah, blah... ๐Ÿ˜‰

There is a point where you know you are overloaded and when you aren't.. Most folks that ask the question on this site have never towed anything in their life or could even find the spark plug on the engine if you asked them....

I hope you find your answer... ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.