cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck flooded

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any experience with an insurance claim on a vehicle, F150 in my case, being partially flooded in salt water.

The hurricane got mine. Water up to top of the tires, plus or minus a couple of inches. Don't think water got in the engine but horn started blasting in middle of the flood and would not quit till the battery did. Water inside under seats, don't think it made it to the seat bottoms.

I don't want the truck back. Don't think you can ever get all the salt issues out. Told the insurance company that. Of course they want it inspected by a body and dealer. Told they by time inspections are done truck is toast. Guess I will see what they say.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œOf course they want it inspected by a body and dealer.โ€

Reasonable. What is the issue?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Don't accept any determination other than totaled. Find the Kelly Blue Book value and use that to determine if they place the proper value on it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Drive it into fresh water for a nice flush?
Sorry, tongue in cheek...
I'd first see if it runs and everything works. If it appears fine, then I'd do anything I could to make sure it doesn't run and work when the appraiser shows up! (Not tongue in cheek) Remove ECM, soak in nice bucket of salt water and replace?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
With salt water, even if they flush everything and get it running, the first rain all sorts of strange things will happen because of the remaining salt that didn't get totally removed.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
You may also need to be prepared to have your own appraisal done. Depending on the value of the truck, insurance companies will sometimes total a vehicle, but undervalue it on the pay-out.

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
I had a friend who serviced fd pagers. When someone called and said they dropped their pager into water he'd ask, "Toilet (ie. fresh water)? Bring it in and I'll look at it. Ocean (ie. salt water)? Who do I bill the new pager to?"

Either way I'd consider the truck totaled. Remember the adjusters don't pay out of their own pocket, but I've been told they have a monthly budget and if they routinely exceed their budget, it's reflected in their job performance reviews. Don't let the adjuster bully you just to get a gold star at his next review.
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Don't clean or move the truck before the inspection. It's probably totaled if water got into the computers.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If it got up inside the car, even just the carpet, itโ€™s totaled. No questions. And since the horn started to go off, it got into the electronics.

Bottom line, itโ€™s done!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!